Letters to the Editor

Student workers can ease situation of casuals

I found it somewhat ironic that in a publication presumably distributed by the WROC, the organization articulated that the terrible working conditions faced by Princeton's casual dining hall workers were due to a shortage of student workers. As a student manager in Rocky/Mathey and an individual who has worked on average 10 hours a day with these same individuals, I can heartily attest to their plight. And I can guarantee that working conditions would improve with an increase in student workers.

Now I am not trying to decry the attempts of the WROC to improve the pay rates and benefits for the dining hall casual. In fact, I support a stronger labor union across the board for Princeton employees.

But I cannot help but make the point that true sacrifice for the dining hall casual would not be limited to monetary gain, but also in easing the burden of their job. I recommend to anyone truly serious about aiding the dining hall casual to work one shift per week at the dining hall. And if you do not desire to benefit monetarily from their plight, perhaps the WROC might create a pool into which the wages earned aiding casuals would go to further the struggle to aid all of Princeton's workers. John Michael Guevara '01