Letters to the Editor

Societal change depends on collective action, organization

In his recent column, "The future of student activism," Adam Frankel mistakenly assumes that the effects of participation in "community service programs and interest in careers as teachers" are equivalent to those of political movements. This is a common error that is reflective of a general amnesia in American society about the importance of political organizing, and a misunderstanding of how change is successfully effected in a democracy.

The intelligence and motivation of Princeton students are best spent organizing large numbers of people to fight for legislation that changes the lives of millions, not hundreds. Student volunteers who tutor underprivileged children, clean up beaches on the Jersey shore and design real and virtual table tents on pressing issues are doing good things, without a doubt. But these activities do not change society in a systematic way. Lobbying for more equitable public school funding, tougher environmental law and greater public access to the airwaves are activities that are not typically engaged in by Princeton "activists" but are infinitely more effective than piecemeal approaches.

The crotchety leftists of the 60s are anachronistic for many reasons, but we should never forget their lesson that there is power in numbers. That is a reality that will never change, no matter what you can do on the Internet. David Tannenbaum '01