Can a Princetonian enter the 'Real World?'

Nadya One, J-Dog, Oh Righteous One, Hoochie One, Hoochie Two, Drama Queen, Glamour Queen and Screamer are Princeton's latest hopefuls for MTV's next season of "The Real World."

The eight self-proclaimed "craziest and most eccentric" freshmen on campus plan to audition for the show early tomorrow morning, according to group organizer Shawn Sindelar '04.

"We're going into it just as who we are. We don't have anything prepared; we don't have anything rehearsed, just to be our real selves for 'The Real World'," Sindelar said. "Hopefully that will come across and attract its producers," he said.

When visiting the University last spring as a pre-frosh hailing from Canada, Sindelar said he watched "The Real World" for the first time. Though he has not seen the show since, the fact that it is coming to Princeton holds special significance for him.

Upon learning of MTV's open casting call last week, he swiftly sought out those students he thought would give him a special edge in the audition.

"They aren't my friends. I just met some of them in dining halls, around school. They are very unique people, people who when you first meet them have something special about them and attract your attention," Sindelar said. The members of the group, he claims, fit striking stereotypes that hopefully will catch the eye of producers.

Matthew Cooper '04, also a member of the group, agreed. "The people in the group have their own characteristics that will manifest for their interview," he said.

"J-Dog" introduces herself to complete strangers with the "Austin Powers" quote, "My mother was a French prostitute with webbed feet."

One member of the group, who called "J-Dog" the "spunky abnormality," said, "In any situation you are with her in, she doesn't respond, doesn't say what other people would say — it's unnerving."

"Oh Religious One," also known as the "total religious-right presence and total campus crusade," hopes to save everyone's soul, claimed another member. Always carrying the Bible with her, the Agape member avoids excessively hugging people in fear of violating their personal space or taking salsa lessons because they are too explicit.

"Hoochie One" and "Hoochie Two," according to one source, are two stuck-up, totally snobby, white sorority girls. Both fit the "typical" rich, Ivy League Princeton student stereotype. "They are totally elitist and don't even realize that they do that. They define Princeton. They complement each other," he grinned.

"Glamour Queen" enjoys wearing leather mini-skirts and tall leather boots in the freezing winter, dashes to New York City to get $200 haircuts from master stylists, and continuously talks about boy problems and other issues that don't really exist.

Completely twitchy "Screamer," who never stops thinking, moving or being, according to another source, emerges as the hyperactive, over-excited child of the group.

"If you are around her, you pick up the high energy," he said. "You just pick up on that when you are in her presence."

"Drama Queen" or otherwise known as "Nadya 2" tends to find conflicts and exaggerate problems, as verified by his notorious trip to McCosh Health Center. After feeling slightly ill at lunch, he intentionally dropped his lunch tray in the middle of the dining hall and collapsed to the ground. Public Safety was then called and drove him to McCosh in a wheelchair. He later told friends he was dying, had Ebola and began writing his will, said a member of the group who wished to remain anonymous.

Cooper, who has never seen the show, remains optimistic about the audition. "It sounds like a very interesting opportunity. It's a fun group of people going, a group effort as well as an individual decision. It sounds like a fascinating time."

"If nothing comes of the audition, at least we went into it, knowing we had a good time, and that we were just trying to be interesting people," Sindelar said.

Though no one in the group expects to make the show, if the opportunity should arise, some would take the semester off to pursue it.

"I think that everyone is entitled to 15 minutes of fame, as Andy Warhol said, and this would be my 15 minutes of fame," Sindelar explained. "Fame might come at a price, but in the long run, this is an opportunity hard to pass up. Few people ever get the opportunity to be on "The Real World" and I feel it is something that I should give a try."

To see this enthusiastic crew strut their stuff, visit the Triumph Brewing Company where MTV will be holding an open casting call between 10 a.m. to 5 p.m today.