Campus engulfed by construction

Princeton students may soon graduate with certificates in construction.

The campus has been infiltrated with construction projects that are rebuilding, revamping, refurbishing and recreating the historic campus. Many substantial projects are already underway, with more to follow in the upcoming year.

A major venture has been initiated southeast of Scully Hall on Poe Field, where preliminary utility reconstruction has begun for the Lewis-Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics.

This budgeted $45.5 million proposal promises to enrich the University's scientific resources.

"In keeping with the University's wishes, it is a multidisciplinary facility integrating molecular biology, chemistry, physics and computer science," said Assistant Director of Physical Planning Bob Barnett.

The first phase of a two-phase plan will include building the facility's shell and most of the public spaces within the structure, anticipated for completion in fall 2002.

The second part involves customizing labs as scientists are hired. Barnett classified the institute as "more a research facility than a teaching facility."

It will house a gathering space, conference rooms and an auditorium.

New structures are materializing up campus as well. The Friend Center for Engineering Education, a three-story building with a basement, will offer a variety of classrooms, exhibition spaces, library facilities and auditorium with state-of-the-art media.

The $20 million, 70,000 square-foot space will be connected to the Computer Science Building and is slated for completion in June.

The first of a two-part renovation of Robertson Hall began last summer. "Phase one includes conversion of the library into an office and teaching facility," explained University spokeswoman Marilyn Marks. "Phase two outlines the expansion and rehabilitation of Robertson's lowest level, while designing a new entrance from Washington Road."

Each phase is estimated to cost $9.5 million.

Meanwhile, the University Chapel remains covered in scaffolding as workers continue to repoint the outer masonry. Several stained glass windows are being restored in Allouis, France.

Further initiatives are scheduled to commence this spring and continue through the summer. By August, Little Hall will be completely refurbished and available as undergraduate housing.

An addition to McCarter Theatre is also slated for development during the summer. This second, 350-seat theater, should be functional by the fall, according to Marks.

Though the University has a number of projects on its plate, administrators are currently looking for renovation targets. East Pyne is a prime candidate for complete restoration.

"East Pyne hasn't been touched in a long time," said Vice President for Development Van Zandt Williams '65.

The current proposal is to "gut the whole building, renovate faculty offices, refurbish Chancellor Green and convert it into useful academic space," Williams said.

Williams said much of the money for these endeavors is funded by the recently completed Anniversary Campaign, which raised $1.14 billion.

"A good number of buildings under construction right now are supported by the capital campaign," he said, adding that approximately $250 million from the campaign has been dedicated towards campus construction.