Wealth of experience and freshman phenom lead men's volleyball

In January 1997, Jason Morrow '00 — then a freshman — laced up his sneakers, put on his knee pads and stepped onto the court for the first time as the starting setter for the men's volleyball team. Over the next four years, Morrow and the Tigers brought the program to its pinnacle with their improbable journey to the NCAA Final Four in Hawaii in 1998, only to fall back down to mediocrity during the next two seasons.

Intersession will mark the beginning of a new era, as another freshman will lace up his sneakers and take the spot as men's volleyball's regular starting setter. His name is Jason Liljestrom.

While Liljestrom's six-foot, three-inch frame may be considerably larger than Morrow's, Liljestrom will still have some large shoes to fill when he makes his first start Jan. 29 against the University of La Verne in California.

Princeton is not predicted to win the Eastern Intercollegiate Volley-ball Association and return to the NCAA Final Four — to take place in Long Beach, CA, in May. But then again, neither was the squad in 1998.

At the very least, the Tigers expect to cruise to another Ivy League championship and be competitive in the EIVA behind Liljestrom and five returning starters.

"Right now, we've got a positive outlook for the season," junior Scott Dore said. "EIVA has a few really strong teams — namely Penn State — and probably one really weak team — Springfield. So any number of teams could be in the hunt by the end of the season."

Key tests

Princeton, which has been practicing since September, will have its first opportunity to evaluate itself against outside competition when it plays three games against La Verne, University of California-Irvine and University of California-San Diego on an Intersession trip to California.

"La Verne isn't very strong, but UCI and UCSD are both good teams and seem to improve every year," Dore said.

Despite having a freshman setter, Princeton will have one of its most experienced teams ever this season. Seniors Steve Cooper and John Lerch or Blair Anderson will start as the Tigers' outside hitters, and senior Ryan Black and Dore will start as the middles. Sophomore Dennis Alshuler will be the starting opposite.

"We have five pretty solid returning guys," head coach Glenn Nelson said. "We will have to see which one of our seniors — Lerch or Blair — will step up at outside hitter. If we can get a lot out of one of those guys, we're going to be a pretty good team."

And, of course, Liljestrom's performance will be critical to the Tigers' success.

"The first week will be crucial for us because it will be the first time Jason will be setting for us," Black said.

Indeed, Princeton had become accustomed to the consistent play of Morrow over the past four years and will have to adjust to a new type of setter. Five inches taller than the 5-10 Morrow, Liljestrom will be able to block shots on defense that Morrow might not have reached. Liljestrom will also have to step into the difficult role for a freshman of being a team leader.

"My position is pivotal, like the quarterback in football," Liljestrom said. "It's a lot of pressure, but I like the challenge and I'm excited. All the guys on the team have made me feel really comfortable."

In just his first semester at Princeton, Liljestrom has already gained the confidence of his teammates and coach.

"He's really good," Nelson said. "We're not missing a beat at the setter position."

After Intersession, the Tigers will enter the main stretch of their season against their EIVA opponents. At some point, Princeton will compete in an Ivy League tournament at Yale, although this has yet to be scheduled.

"The Ivy League's a joke," Black said. "We'll win it, hands down."

The same cannot be said about the Tigers' meetings with Penn State Feb. 24 at Dillon Gym and April 14 in State College, Pa.

"Penn State is pretty much loaded," Nelson said. "Everyone's back, and they picked up a kid from San Diego State. We're going to have to have a career match to hang with them."

If Princeton does have a career match against Penn State and wins itself a trip out west for the Final Four in May, it will likely be because of strong play from its new setter. But for now, Liljestrom and the Tigers will be focused on adjusting to the new chapter in Princeton volleyball history that they are about to enter.