Platooning Van Beusekom, Ahlquist works for w. hockey

In ice hockey, the position of goalie is different from any other. The goalkeeper does not serve penalty time, nor does she change lines with the rest of the team. In short, the goalie is the rock of the six teammates on the ice.

The women's hockey team knows the importance of strong play at the goalie position, and with two solid netminders, Princeton (4-6-2 overall, 2-6-2 Eastern College Athletic Conference) is in good hands.

"We want our goalies to make all the saves they're supposed to make," head coach Jeff Kampersal '92 said, "and also to make the one or two that they aren't supposed to make."

Sophomore Sarah Ahlquist and freshman Megan Van Beusekom have split time this year at goalie for the Tigers, and both have had their ups and downs. But overall, the Princeton netminders have made the crucial saves more often than not.

Van Beusekom earned ECAC Rookie of the Week honors for her play last weekend. The freshman made a total of 41 saves in two games, against No. 9 Providence on Saturday and versus No. 8 Northeastern the next day, good for a dazzling .932 save percentage.

The Tigers tied the Friars, and Van Beusekom's three saves in the extra frame were critical in giving Princeton the point in the 1-1 decision.

"Megan played very well against Providence," Kampersal said, "but she let in a bad goal in the third period against Northeastern," a game the Tigers lost.

Platoon

Ahlquist has not been pleased with her play this season, but Kampersal still wants to rotate the two underclassmen.

"Rotating goalies is something I haven't done since I played guys' hockey in high school," Ahlquist said, "so it is taking some getting used to this year. It has been a difficult adjustment to make in terms of how I prepare myself mentally for games.

"I like switching with Megan, though, because she is my friend, and we have skated together during the summers in Minnesota for the past five years or so. Of course you always want to play in as many games as possible, but if I have to split time, I am glad that it is with someone like her."

Both Tigers are natives of the Gopher State, and were pleased by the chance to return home to play St. Cloud's in Minnesota Dec. 1 and 2.

Princeton won both games, 5-4 and 4-3 (OT). Ahlquist was in net for the first game, and the sophomore notched 23 saves, including 10 in the third period.

"My best game was against St. Cloud's," Ahlquist said. "That game was really neat because, not only did we win, but I had about two dozen friends and relatives in the stands cheering for us."

The next day, Van Beusekom made 28 saves in Princeton's overtime victory, an excellent example of the way goalie rotation has worked out for the Tigers.

Depleted

Helping out in front of the net stands the Princeton defense, and Ahlquist has only praise for its play to date.

The defense has been great this year," she said. "We are only playing with four defensemen right now, so they really get a workout in games, but they have handled it well. I have a ton of confidence in them to help me out."

The defense and goalies must be on top of their game during winter break, as Princeton faces off against the U.S. Women's National Team Saturday in Lake Placid, N.Y. The Tigers also play Mercyhurst Dec. 29 and 30, and then travel north to take on New Hampshire and Maine Jan. 6 and 7.

The Tigers played the national team tough last year — but in the friendly confines of Baker Rink. Lake Placid's Olympic-size rink is bigger than Baker, which could pose problems for Princeton, as could ex-Tiger and now U.S. team member Annamarie Holmes '01.

Her sister, sophomore forward Nikola Holmes, heads a long list of injured Princeton players. The Tigers also still need to improve on finishing around the net, which has been their Achilles' heel all season.

Princeton hopes to use the games against Mercyhurst to get momentum going for the return to the ECAC schedule against UNH and Maine. The Tigers also need solid play from their pair of goalies, who stand tall as the last line of defense.