Former University President Bowen receives Louisville education award

Former University President William Bowen has been selected to receive the 2001 University of Louisville Grawemeyer Award in Education.

Bowen will share the award — and its $200,000 prize — with Derek Bok, a former president of Harvard University.

The two were selected after the release of their book, "The Shape of the River: Long-Term Consequences on Considering Race in College and University Admissions."

Rather than adding more opinion to the controversial issue, Bowen and Bok wrote the book to add fact to the debate, "replacing argument by anecdote with evidence," Bowen said in an interview yesterday.

Bowen will be donating his share to Morehouse College in honor of Henry Drewry, former director of Princeton's Teacher Preparation Program and founder of the Mellon Minority Undergraduate Fellowship Program.

"Henry has devoted his life to advancing the cause of equal opportunity," Bowen said.

Bowen, working with James Schulman, obtained the data used in the book by gathering information from 28 "academically selective" colleges, including Princeton. The process took three years, he said.

The book indicated that the objectives for admissions policies based on race were achieved at the colleges and universities surveyed.

Despite many publications' findings that white students are often frustrated with race-related admissions policies, Bowen said Bok, Schulman and he found otherwise.

"There is not any substantial white backlash against these programs in [the 28 schools surveyed]," he said.

While he was the president of Princeton, Bowen wrote an essay on the same subject as his book, which, he said, was cited by the Supreme Court in the Regents of the University of California v. Bakke decision.

The court determined in that case that colleges and universities may use race as a factor, but not as the deciding factor, in admitting applicants.

The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, of which Bowen is now president, is supporting about 25 projects as follow-ups to Bowen's book.