Women's volleyball hammers Rams in best performance yet

After 17 straight games on the road since early September, the women's volleyball team finally brought its fire home. And, anyone who was in Dillon Gym last night surely felt the heat. Fired up to defend their home territory, the Tigers (11-7 overall, 1-1 Ivy League) shut down Fordham in three straight games.

"That match was the best we have played all year," head coach Glenn Nelson said. "I didn't know we were that good. Maybe we just needed to play at home."

Princeton jumped out to an 8-4 lead in the first game led by strong serving from sophomore outside Michelle Buffum and freshman rightside Kellie Cramm. Behind the smart play of senior outside Sabrina King, who flawlessly hit down the line, the Tigers maintained consistent control of the ball, never letting Fordham earn more than one point per serve. Thanks to repeated blocks by senior middle Emily Brown and sophomore middle Abby Studer, Princeton easily claimed game one, 15-7.

The Tigers carried their spark into the second game, leaping to a four-point lead before the Rams knew what hit them. Brown and Buffum brought on the heat from the service line with two aces apiece, while Cramm and Studer contributed with key blocks and kills at the net. The few times that Fordham (2-14, 2-4 Atlantic 10) was able to convert on offense, the Tiger back row shut the Rams down. Diving all over the court, sophomore defensive specialist Anne Ziegler refused to let the ball hit the floor. After a time out at 12-7, King stepped in with a key tip over the Fordham block, followed by three consecutive kills to bring the Tigers to game point. On a perfect outside set from junior setter Ana Yoerg, Buffum drilled the ball onto the Fordham 10-foot line, clinching the game at 15-7.

Worn out by Princeton's unrelenting defense and unstoppable offense, the Rams were unable to put up a fight in the third game and fell 15-6. Again, the Tiger front line was on fire behind the steady hitting of King, who had a match-high 15 kills. Towering at the net, Studer contributed with four key solo blocks, making it very easy for the defense to control the ball.

"Abby was an animal tonight," King said. "She was really a blocking machine, and that helped us out a lot."