University receives grant to establish interdisciplinary technology position

The Henry R. Luce Foundation has awarded the University a grant to create a new professorship starting in the 2002-03 academic year.

The faculty member who will occupy the new position — named the Henry R. Luce Professorship in Information Technology, Consciousness and Culture — will be expected to study and teach about the effects of the Internet. In addition, that professor will research new computing technology's impact on the way people live and think.

Associate Provost Georgia Nugent '73 said yesterday the University committee that designed the grant proposal was "interested in looking at information technology from the perspective of its cultural implications" and its relevance to art, literature and privacy.

Henry R. Luce Foundation Vice President Terril Lautz said yesterday, "Everyone is scratching their head and trying to figure out the implications of new information technology."

According to the foundation's Website, Princeton was chosen from a pool of applicants that comprised universities from across the country.Lautz said he helped review the University's grant application, which he believed indicated a desire to study and grapple with some of the problems that have arisen as a result of new computing technologies.

He also said he was impressed by the enthusiasm for the professorship he detected among Princeton faculty and students.

The committee that helped draft Princeton's application for the highly competitive grant comprised undergraduates, graduate students and faculty members from a range of disciplines.

Committee member Brian Baumann '03 called the grant "a cross disciplinary, wonderful thing" that will make it possible for the University "to go out there and find a professor who doesn't fit the traditional mold."

Sociology professor Robert Wuthnow, who was also on the committee, said he was excited about the interdisciplinary aspect of the new professorship.

He said he is most interested in the questions new technologies raise "about who we are as individuals and how we understand ourselves in relation to the Internet."