Large number of Anniversary Campaign celebrants report flu-like symptoms

A large number of the people who attended last weekend's Anniversary Campaign for Princeton closing celebration developed flu-like symptoms, University Environmental Health and Safety officials said yesterday.

The predominant symptoms were abdominal cramps and diarrhea, according to University Sanitarian Don Robasser. Some people became ill Saturday morning, and others as late as Sunday, he said.

"We started getting reports on Monday that there were an unusual number of illnesses among the development staff that was involved with the weekend of campus events," Robasser said. "The one event they were all participating in was the dinner on Friday evening."

The dinner took place at Jadwin Gym, and was attended by donors, volunteers and staff who worked on the Anniversary Campaign.

In their investigation of the outbreak, EHS officials created an online questionnaire that was e-mailed to those who attended the Friday dinner, EHS director Garth Walters said.

Of the 80 people who had responded by yesterday afternoon, 33 reported illness, he said.

Walters said he then analyzed the information collected through the surveys to determine whether any foods were "suspect."

Robasser said he met with University Department of Dining Services employees to review the preparation and serving procedures employed at the event.

"We got together with dining services, talked about the details of planning, preparation and serving, and found everything had been done according to the guidelines," he said.

Walters and Robasser said they have ruled out the possibility of food poisoning. Instead, Robasser suggested it might be a viral or bacterial infection. "It appears to be something that's in the community that will take its own course, and we hope it's not a long course," Robasser said.