Field hockey's defensive corps proves it is up to the challenge

Going into the year, one of the field hockey team's unanswered questions was the play of its inexperienced defense. Two sophomores — goalkeeper Kelly Baril and defender Emily Townsend — provided 'veteran leadership' for the Tigers (8-3 overall, 4-0 Ivy League), because both sophomores started as freshmen and are the only returning starters in the back. But any doubts about Princeton's defense have quickly faded as the Tigers have posted four shutouts in 11 games.

No. 7 Princeton's opponents have only scored three goals in a game once this year, and such formidable attacks as No. 1 Old Dominion and No. 3 Maryland have been held to just two goals. And the Tigers did all of this with so little experience. Question answered.

"We've been heading in a good direction," Baril said. "We've played well in our losses, and on defense we're all learning together."

Seniors Anastasia Nowacki and Holly O'Neill were not regular starters until this year. But since they were called upon to anchor Princeton's defense, both have responded with solid play.

"Both Holly and Anastasia have stepped up a lot this year," head coach Beth Bozman said.

Nowacki, in fact, was singled out by Bozman as the only bright spot in an ugly 4-1 win over Brown on Saturday.

Townsend and Baril have significantly elevated their play from last year as well. The former was just named Ivy League Player of the Week and is currently second on the team in goals. Townsend's powerful shots have made her a force to be reckoned with when she contributes to the Princeton attack and on penalty corners.

Baril has been untouchable in the net, serving as the last line of defense for the Tigers. The sophomore has been at her best against some of the nation's most potent attacks.

"Kelly Baril has been our strong point all year," Bozman said.

The netminder thinks that being thrown into the fracas as a freshman starter last year has only helped her this season. The sophomore has made spectacular saves when necessary and also has come out of the box to stop opposing attackers who have gotten behind the defense on breakaways.

Another new part of the Tiger defense is junior Aviva Meerschwam, who returned to Princeton from Penn. Meerschwam has roamed the field for Princeton, and her stick skills have proved valuable near both goals.

Showdown

The Tiger defense — inexperienced but impressive — needs to continue its solid play if Princeton is to play well this weekend. The Tigers host Ivy League co-leader and No. 18 Harvard (9-3, 4-0) Saturday and No. 5 Penn State (13-2, 4-0 Big Ten) Sunday. Both games are at 1 p.m. at 1952 Stadium.

Princeton's showdown with the Crimson will probably decide the conference championship. Both teams have pulled away from the pack. The Tigers have won 42 of their last 43 Ivy games, but Harvard is confident.

Over the last few years, Princeton has had to prepare itself mentally for each conference game. But this year, the Crimson has provided the Tigers with bulletin board material. Bozman mentioned a Harvard Crimson article that dealt with Harvard's chances against Princeton. Harvard senior Maria Badawy told the newspaper, "The turf [referring to the Crimson's new stadium] has erased the gap between us and the top teams.

"There is no gap. [The Tigers] don't know what's coming," Badawy said.

"That article gave us some ammo," Bozman said. "But these pressure games get you ready for big games down the road."

And if the strong play of Princeton's defense continues to impress, the Tigers should have a good chance to win.