Allison leads women's golf to Rutgers title; men take fifth at Temple Invite

On Saturday night, Princeton students headed to the 'Street' in hordes to test their luck at casino night. Even the men's and women's golf teams — both of which competed at important invitationals this weekend — made it back to campus in time for the fun. If each team's performance was any indication of its members' luck at casino night, then some of the players on the men's team may be begging their female counterparts for spare change this week.

Led by junior Julia Allison, whose individual score of 74-77 — 151 earned her a second-place finish overall, women's golf captured first place at the Rutgers Invitational, which featured Princeton, Rutgers and Yale.

The men's team, on the other hand, was hurt by the disqualification of its second-highest scorer and finished a disappointing seventh at the Temple Invitational.

For the women, the victory was especially sweet because they soundly beat out Ivy rival Yale by a score of 630 to 642. Just one week ago, the Elis beat Princeton on its home turf at the Princeton Invitational.

"We expected to win this weekend because, unlike at the Princeton Invitational, we had all of our top five," said senior Adrienne Gill, who finished third for the Tigers and ninth overall with a score of 77-87 — 164. "This weekend was a big confidence booster for us."

Fall slate

The women's team is in the midst of its fall schedule, which consists of six tournaments. The Tigers placed second behind Yale at the Princeton Invitational last weekend, first at the Dartmouth Invitational Sept. 16 and fourth at the Tech Lady Classic Tournament Sept. 10. They play next at the Notre Dame Invitational this coming weekend and at the Georgia State Invitational during Fall Break.

Allison has served as the team's stalwart leader so far this fall, consistently placing among the top spots individually.

"Her finishes thus far have been outstanding," said senior Natalie Christensen, who placed second for Princeton and fourth overall with a score of 82-78 — 160. "She's placed second, first and second in our last three tournaments."

While the fall season is busier than the spring for the Tigers, Princeton's most important tournament — the Ivy League tournament — is in the spring. Last season, the Tigers were defeated by Yale, but this year, they hope, will be different. Despite this weekend's comfortable victory over Yale, the team will have to prove itself again in the spring.

"Winning this weekend gives us a lot of confidence," Gill said. "But the Ivy tournament is so far away that anything could happen between now and then. Still, I think our team is stronger this year."

As the women cruised to victory at Rutgers, the men's team faltered at the Temple Invitational, winding up in seventh place — 14 shots behind tournament champion St. John's. The one bright spot for the Tigers was a strong third place finish from junior James Milam.

"I played well," Milam said. "I hit the ball really well. As far as the team went, however, we didn't play well, and that's what matters the most."

Princeton got off to a bad start Friday, the first day of the tournament, when sophomore Cassidy Traub was disqualified for turning in an incorrect scorecard. Had Traub's score counted, the Tigers would have defeated both Georgetown and Rutgers, which tied for sixth place. Behind Milam, senior Peter McWhorter placed second for the Tigers with a score of 83-74 — 157 (30th place overall), followed by sophomore Nat Hoopes (77-82 — 159, 38th place overall) and freshman Greg Johnson (77-82 — 160, 41st place overall).

"We were really disappointed," Traub said. "It was a big tournament for us and we wanted to finish a little higher up."

On the horizon

Like the women's team, the men have their most important meet — the Ivy League tournament — in the spring. Princeton will close out its fall campaign at the Sabler Invitational at Lehigh next weekend and the Georgetown Invitational during Fall Break.

"Next weekend we are going for the win," Milam said. "It's just a matter of whether we'll be in the right frame of mind to compete. We have five guys who can shoot par, and that's what we hope to do."