Football's comeback effort falls short in final moments against No. 19 Lehigh

After six minutes, it looked like another blowout. Only 10 percent of the game had been played, and already the visitors had 10 points. Everyone in Princeton Stadium expected the home side to roll over, give up on their game plan and succumb to the superior opposition.

Everyone, that is, except for those on the Princeton sideline.Though trailing in the early going, the Tigers clawed their way back into the game against Div. I-AA No. 19 Lehigh, only to fall short 20-18 in the final minutes.

This was not the same team that blew a lead in the final minutes to Lafayette only one week prior. This was a proud, confident bunch that would not give in, even when things looked their bleakest.

"I don't believe in moral victories," Princeton head coach Roger Hughes said. "Although, I'm very proud of how our kids played. Our kids played every snap of every quarter. I told them afterwards in the locker room that they have nothing to hang their heads about. [I told them] 'You became men today.' "

The Tigers looked anything like hardened veterans in the moments following the opening kickoff. In its first two drives, Princeton went three and out, and then fumbled, amassing negative nine yards, and giving Lehigh 10 easy points.

When Mountain Hawk quarterback Brant Hall found running back Phil Pleasant in the end zone shortly after the fumble, the rout was on.

But someone forgot to tell the Tigers.

On the ensuing drive, instead of abandoning the game plan, Princeton's coaching staff kept with the program despite the heavy blitzing from Lehigh's defense.

Whereas previous Princeton team's might have thrown in the towel, the Tigers refused to fold.

On a third and seven in their own territory, junior quarterback Tommy Crenshaw found sophomore wide receiver Nate Lindell for an important first down.

On the subsequent play, Hughes reached into his bag of tricks. Crenshaw took the snap and handed the ball to sophomore wide receiver Chisom Opara — who had lined up in the slot to the left of the line — on what appeared to be an end around to the right side.

Lehigh's aggressive defense flocked towards Opara, who lofted a pass over the onrushing foes, into the hands of Lindell for a 34-yard gain.

When the drive stalled, junior kicker Taylor Northrop drilled a 46-yard field goal, to put the Tigers on the board — something that Princeton never managed in last year's 31-0 loss to Lehigh.

Northrop's powerful leg kept Princeton in the game for the first three quarters. At the end of the first period, Northrop lined up for a 50-yard attempt — only two yards shorter than his career best of 52. His kick sliced through the thick misty air and cleared the bar with room to spare. He would add field goals of 27 and 24 yards later in the game, bringing his total to five on the season.

Despite Northrop's heroics, the entire game turned on two plays. Late in the second quarter, with the score 13-9 in favor of Lehigh, Princeton started a drive from its own 12 yard-line. On a second down play from the 27, Crenshaw dropped back into the pocket, scrambled a bit to his right and lofted the ball over the head of a receiver in the flat, into the onrushing arms of Lehigh linebacker James Young.

According to coach Hughes, Cren-shaw, sensing pressure, was attempting to throw the ball away and did not put enough velocity on his pass.

The Mountain Hawks took over on Princeton's 25, and found the end zone five plays later when Hall rolled to his right and hit fullback Justin Barasso in the end zone to make the score 20-9 at halftime.

Twice in the second half, with its veteran offensive line leading the charge, Princeton pounded out scoring drives that lasted more than six minutes. The first led to Northrop's last field goal late in the third quarter. The second brought the Tigers within a hair's breadth of tying the game.

Princeton gained possession on a fumble recovery by Mike Higgins, following a solid hit by junior defensive end Mike Long.

The Tigers then embarked on a 15-play, 85-yard drive, spearheaded by the powerful running of senior tailback Kyle Brandt through a fatigued Lehigh front seven. When Brandt crossed the goal line on a four-yard plunge, with 1:18 left, Princeton's comeback was nearly complete.

"In addition to our offensive line, I credit our coaching staff," Brandt said. "Coach Hughes stuck with the run, and it worked. I give complete credit to our coaching staff for having faith in us to run the ball."

After a timeout, the Tigers went for two, in an attempt to the tie the score. Expecting a blitz from Lehigh, Hughes called Opara's end-around option pass for the second time. The Mountain Hawks were not fooled, however, shutting off the outside running lane, and forced Opara to throw into traffic. The pass was intercepted, and when Lehigh recovered the ensuing onside kick, Princeton's comeback fell just short.

"While I'm very disappointed with the loss, I'm very proud of how our kids played. We took a major step towards getting better," Hughes said.