Touring the campus epicenter: The new Frist Campus Center

Nearly four years ago when the University Board of Trustees voted to build the now nearly completed Frist Campus Center, the University hoped to construct a facility that would cater to all groups in the University community.

The facility — which was fashioned out of the historic Palmer Hall — includes several new classrooms built to alleviate space concerns that have plagued the University in recent years. In addition, Frist will have a food court and an entertainment center.

University officials also said the campus center will include a community service center, study space and office space for student organizations.

In addition to studying, students will also be able to purchase food and other necessities at Frist. A University-owned convenience store will allow students to charge purchases using their student IDs.

Though only occupying a small space in the center, the store will sell basic snack foods similar to those now available at the Wawa and at the U-Store.

Classes

Classrooms in the center tastefully incorporate old-fashioned furnishings with 21st-century teaching technology.

Frist 302, an upstairs lecture hall, contains rows of old-fashioned chairs that had been in Palmer Hall since its opening. Above the large blackboard hang more remnants of a bygone era — various scientific apparatuses formerly found in Palmer labs, where Albert Einstein taught.

Frist Campus Center director Paul Breitman said, "We definitely want to take advantage of the historical reference and the previous history that took place in Palmer Hall and bring that into the campus center."

While the architect and builders sought to create a nostalgic atmosphere in Frist, they also wanted to outfit the classrooms with more modern teaching aids, Breitman said.

Each classroom is equipped with a projector and an extensive sound system. The large lecture hall also has overhead and rear-screen projection capabilities. In addition, all the rooms are wired for the Internet.

"It's state-of-the-art technology," Breitman said.

Among the many programs students can look forward to are movies sponsored by the University Film Organization.

According to UFO president John Ewalt '02, the group plans to show films several times per week in the center's theater. "We are still determining the price. Hopefully admission will be free, but at most the cost would be $2.50."

U-Store

The Frist Campus Center may offer students another perk — a satellite U-Store, according to U-Store president Jim Sykes.

University officials are negotiating with the U-Store to open a smaller version of the existing facility amid the collection of other shops and student agency offices already planned for the Frist center, Sykes said.

"We hope to offer a variety of items," Sykes said of the satellite store. "It will be like a spirit shop."