Softball sweeps Brown to give Cohen her 550th career victory

At a mediocre 11-17 before the start of Saturday's games, Princeton softball needed a jolt of excitement and intensity — something to jump-start the Tigers' confidence and their chances at Ivy League glory.

So when sophomore centerfielder Lori Volker scored from third after a bobbled ball by Brown second baseman Julia Iudicello, the Tigers' bolted out from the dugout to celebrate their second exciting final at-bat victory of the day versus Brown (5-17 overall, 0-2 Ivy League) in its first Ivy doubleheader of the season.

Cheering wildly at home plate, Princeton (13-17, 2-0) was then given another reason to celebrate. The announcer reminded everyone — even head coach Cindy Cohen — that Cohen had reached another landmark in her impressive coaching career — her 550th win.

All in all, Princeton couldn't have asked for a more exciting and uplifting day.

"We actually had no idea and I know [coach Cohen] had no idea either," junior third baseman Lauren Poniatowski said, referring to the coach's new milestone. "She really doesn't pay attention to that sort of stuff. [Cohen] just thinks about the game right in front of her and how to win it."

Walk of fame

The handprints of Cohen's experienced coaching were all over the Tigers' thrilling 1-0 and 5-4 wins over Ivy rival Brown. Responding to the lack of offensive consistency by her team, Cohen emphasized the Tigers' short game — working on bunts and 'slapping' at the ball this past week in practice in order to get crucial runners on base.

"As a coach, when your team is struggling offensively, you need to find a way to make something happen and manufacture your runs," Cohen said. "[And] that's exactly what we did today.

All of Princeton's offensive rallies, in particular the two game-winning runs, seemed to be the direct result of this improved short game. Volker's eventual game-winning run began with a perfectly placed bunt, baffling the Bears' defense. In the first game, the bottom of the ninth saw sophomore first baseman Brie Galicinao fake a sacrifice bunt and slap a half-bunt for an infield single between second and first, advancing junior catcher Devon Keefe from first to third with only one out. The next batter, freshman leftfielder Anna Soper, proceeded to hit a sharp ground ball to third. Keefe — who had advanced to third on Galicinao's hit, sprinted home and slid right under the tag to give Princeton a 1-0 victory.

Arms lend a hand

The Tigers, however, have to admit that another reason for the victories was the ever-improving pitching staff. Senior Sarah Peterman (7-10) threw another impressive shutout for Princeton — her third on the season. Peterman went nine innings — her longest outing of the season — giving up a meager five hits, walking one and striking out eight. The last two innings alone saw four of her eight strikeouts as Peterman looked stronger and stronger as the game progressed.

"I felt great today," Peterman said. "We all felt a little nervous and tight in the beginning but we stayed strong throughout, especially the defense."

The defense, another sore point for the Tigers this season, was solid for most of the day. Princeton had only one bad inning in the field — the sixth inning of the second game, when the Tigers amassed three errors and allowed the Bears to rally and tie Princeton at 4-4.

The Tigers rebounded, however, when sophomore Dana Freiser (2-0) entered the game at pitcher. She quickly got the final out of the sixth and then retired the Bears one-two-three in the top of the seventh, allowing Princeton a chance to win in its final at-bat. After coming off an early-season battle with mononucleosis, Freiser has emerged as a solid relief pitcher, adding extra depth to a pitching staff that has consisted of only Peterman and Galicinao for most of the season.

"Our pitchers are way better than they were a month ago," Cohen said. "All of them have improved tremendously, not just in a month but from this year to last."

While the Tigers know there is a long road to their goal of an Ivy title, Princeton knows that these victories were a needed step in the right direction.

"It's exactly what we needed," sophomore shortstop Kim Veenstra said. "The wins we got were not that pretty but all that matters is that we're 2-0."