Yale loss served as turning point for men's hoops' backcourt

A lot has changed for men's basketball since its 44-42 loss at Yale Feb. 5. Both Princeton and the Elis have headed in opposite directions since their last meeting. While the Tigers have lost only one game, Yale has won only one.

"We've been a little up and down since the last game," Eli head coach James Jones said. "Obviously a little more down than up."

The Tigers shot 36 percent from the field in the last meeting with Yale. They have shot at least 50 percent from the field in both Ivy League weekends since then.

Sophomore Ahmed El-Nokali fouled out of the game Feb. 5 in 26 minutes with no points and no assists. Since then he has shot at least 60 percent from the field in six of his last seven games. He led the team with 15 points on 6-for-8 shooting last Friday against Harvard and has earned praise from head coach Bill Carmody for the job he has done as the team's leader on the court.

And in a year when seven players have missed at least one game due to injury, a lot of players have had to change their games for the Tigers to be successful.

Freshman guard Spencer Gloger began the year as a big three-point threat — he now owns the freshmen record for three-pointers, with 57 — but also as a bit of a defensive liability. Recently, however, he has played the kind of defense freshmen are not supposed to be able to play and has found himself matched up against the stars of many opposing teams.

Stopper

Gloger has assumed the role of defensive stopper from junior C.J. Chapman. With Gloger and El Nokali entrenched in the backcourt, Chapman has moved from guard to forward position and has been able to concentrate more on his shot. Last weekend, he was 7 of 14 from beyond the arc.

"One of the bright spots of having so many guys injured is that it gives the opportunity for other guys to improve," Carmody said.

And this year more than any other, there have been ample opportunities for the reserves to shine.

In the last meeting between the Tigers and Elis, Gloger and senior forward Mason Rocca sat out, while sophomore forward Eugene Baah and junior forward Nate Walton were forced to play through their own injuries. The result: a Princeton loss.

"It was tough. Mike [Bechtold] and Ray [Robins] both had to play 36 minutes," Carmody said. "It's tough with no depth."

For the most part, though, the Tigers have healed. This time it is the Elis who will limp into the weekend, with five players injured — including center Neil Yanke. After playing only five minutes last Saturday against Cornell, Yanke is questionable for the game against Princeton on Friday.

The only Princeton player still hampered by injury is Rocca. After logging 33 minutes in the loss to Penn, he has played just 28 minutes combined in the last four games. He will most likely see limited action again this weekend.

Still, while a lot has changed during the past two weeks for Princeton, one thing has remained constant almost all season. The Tigers are still in second place because Penn keeps winning. The Quakers — undefeated in conference play — have a two-game lead with three games left and can lock up their second straight league title with two wins this weekend at home.

After a season in which they have undergone several positive changes, the Tigers still need one more big change out of this final conference weekend. In Philadelphia, either Friday or Saturday, someone must find a way to upset the red-hot Ivy leaders.