W. water polo falls to national powers; McCarthy highlights effort

The pressure was on and time was running out. The women's water polo team was on a three-game losing streak and was struggling for a victory.

After losing to UC-Davis, 9-4, California, 13-6, and San Jose State, 8-4, the Tigers looked to their final game against Pacific with hopes of a win. However, this victory did not come easily.

Freshman two-meter and scoring sensation Adele McCarthy came to the Tigers' rescue with two minutes, 23 seconds left in the second overtime period when she netted the game-winning goal as Princeton (10-3 overall, 4-0 Collegiate Water Polo Association) narrowly defeated Pacific, 6-5, Saturday.

The team had arrived in California riding high after easily crushing CWPA competition during the first weekend of Spring Break.

The East Coast action was not nearly as tough for the No. 13 Tigers, who effortlessly defeated West Chester, 12-3. Princeton then moved on to a dominating 13-0 win over Ivy rival Penn. The host team, Villanova, was also unable to withstand the powerful Tiger squad as it fell, 10-3, to Princeton.

The Tigers then took on the Quakers one more time before heading to California. Princeton was able to use most of the bench as it found no difficulty beating Penn, 16-3.

Freshman firepower

Freshman dominated the field and the goal in the second game against the Quakers. Lindy Martin scored three goals, while fellow freshmen Saroj Siegler and Joanne Armstrong had two goals apiece. First-year players Lisa Rockefeller and Jenny Hildebrand had a chance at tending goal, combining for 5 saves.

McCarthy, who led the team in goals, played intense water polo throughout the week, especially against Pacific. Her goals in the final quarter tied the score at 4-4 and sent Princeton into overtime.

"It felt great to score, but I got some great passes, too," McCarthy said. "We were really disappointed having lost the other games. The girls were really rough. After I got kicked in the throat [against Pacific] I was a little bitter so I just upped the intensity."

When junior Alina Brown scored with 1:09 remaining in the first overtime, the Tigers took their first lead of the game. Yet this lead was quickly diminished when Pacific fought back with 35 seconds left to even the score at 5-5. McCarthy saved the day, however, with her goal that gave the Tigers a 6-5 victory.

"Adele played incredibly, especially considering how aggressive the West Coast teams were," senior captain and goalie Goga Vukmir-ovic said.

The Tigers hit the pool with an intense combination of offense and defense. Without the help of veteran and All-American goalie Vukmirovic, who had 15 saves in goal, the Tigers would not have been able to conquer Pacific.

'Like a human wall'

"Goga's defense was incredible," McCarthy said. "She ventured out into the field to steal the ball and block. She was like a human wall in the cage."

Battling physically intense California teams came as a challenge for the Princeton women, who came to the Golden State with an undefeated record.

"Everybody played well, but the level of playing in California was much different than the East Coast," Vukmirovic said. "They were a lot stronger and more physical than what we're used to. Our first loss against UC-Davis was especially tough."

Always tallying up the goals, sophomore driver Cassie Nichols scored twice against Penn and No. 1 California. Junior Katherine Kixmiller contributed to Princeton's offense by scoring two goals against Villanova and netting one in each of the cages UC-Davis, California and San Jose.

"This week had many strong performances from Cassie Nichols and Katherine Kixmiller," Vukmirovic said. "Cassie played strong water polo as usual and Katherine was great on both offense and defense, especially her counterattacks."

The Tigers will count on these players as they continue CWPA league play when they take on Maryland, Georgetown, James Madison and George Washington in Washington, D.C. this weekend.