Looking for March Madness, Princeton style? Try Baker Rink

Well, the fire at the campus center was reasonably interesting, and Jon Stewart's show was quality stuff even to the humor-impaired. Still, what's really taken Princeton by storm during the last couple of weeks has been the wild developments in a pair of simultaneous March Madnesses.

The NCAA men's basketball tournament and the Princeton University Intramural Broomball playoffs have each taken this campus by storm. Yes, broomball — the hockey-like sport that can send even the most coordinated athletes crashing into walls at high rates of speed. Princeton students can't seem to get enough, flocking to Baker Rink on an almost nightly basis to partake in the festivities.

Still, the real question remains: How does this new craze measure up when compared to the Big Dance?

ANNOUNCERS: College hoops has Digger Phelps and Dick Vitale in the ESPN studio. Broomball has an empty press box at Baker Rink. Addition by subtraction?

ADVANTAGE — Broomball

POSTGAME TRADITIONS: After the NCAA title game, fans will watch the winners cut down the nets. Then, those at home will enjoy CBS's timeless "One Shining Moment" rendition to close out the season. At Baker Rink, the broomball fan(s) will get to see a T-shirt presentation and then mock the winners for taking IM sports so seriously. The nets get put away until hockey season.

ADVANTAGE — Basketball

CORRUPTION: There's a general feeling around the country that Bob Huggins might not run the cleanest of programs over at Cincinnati. Still, as far as I know, he's never taken a player from say, Xavier, and inserted him in his own lineup for the NCAA tournament. Charter's broomball contingent was disqualified for exactly this type of chicanery.

ADVANTAGE — Basketball

NICKNAMES: Gators, Spartans, Tar Heels and Badgers form a diverse foursome for this weekend's hoops festivities, but they still can't hold a candle to Mad Capsule, Manifest Destiny, Iron Curtain and Overworkers Anonymous — four squads that have made their presences felt on the ice at Baker.

ADVANTAGE — Broomball

WILD FINISHES: The Big Dance has Lorenzo Charles's dunk and Christian Laettner's turnaround. Broomball has Mad Capsule scoring with three seconds left in regulation to win its quarterfinal matchup, 2-1.

ADVANTAGE — EVEN

TOURNAMENT POOLS: Okay, raise your hand if you had North Carolina advancing to the Final Four. Let me rephrase that: Raise your hand if you had Carolina advancing to the Final Four this year. I am involved in a pool that includes around 30 people and as far as I know, only one person correctly picked more than one Final Four team. Broomball has no such ego-deflating activity and can be considerably easier on the wallet as a result.

ADVANTAGE — Broomball

PRINCETON VS. PENN: No worries, Tiger fans. Still upset about Penn's 14-0 Ivy League rampage this year? Picture Geoff Owens trying to navigate a sheet of ice.

ADVANTAGE — Broomball

Sunday night at Baker Rink, Mad Capsule will face Iron Curtain in the Broomball title game at 9:15 p.m.

The following night, somewhere to the west of Boston and south of Minneapolis, two college hoops powerhouses will continue their version of the Madness. Let the games begin.