Athlete of the Week: Chris Young

Had you asked anyone how this men's basketball team would have fared with senior forward Mason Rocca sidelined with ankle problems and junior forward Nate Walton hampered by a broken hand, the prognosis would not have been good. Yet by all accounts, the team has defied expectations, winning its three games over Intersession and pushing its overall record to 10-7. The beginning of the Ivy League season has treated Princeton well so far, in large part due to the solid efforts of sophomore center Chris Young.

Despite a slow start to his sophomore campaign, Young has begun to regain the form that earned him Ivy League Rookie of the Year honors during the 1998-99 season. Averaging just over 13 points per game and just under six rebounds per contest this year, Young has given the Tigers just what they need in the abscence of Rocca and Walton — an inside presence. Leading Princeton to three convincing wins over Intersession, Young has proven himself worthy of the title of team captain. As the Tigers enter the heart of their conference season over the next few weeks, Young will be counted on for both low-post scoring and sound defensive play. If the sophomore can repeat Saturday's 21-point, seven-assist effort against the rest of the Ivy League, Princeton should be well on its way to reclaiming the conference crown.