News and Notes

Six members of the equestrian team took part in the Regional Finals Saturday at Briarwood Farms in Readington, and three placed. Junior Susan Bernabucci was the champion in the Intermediate Equitation Over Fences category and sophomore Christina Barkauskas took first in Intermediate Equitation on the Flat. Senior Kira Epstein had a third-place finish in Open Equitation Over Fences, while junior Jaynie Randall won the prize for best sportsmanship at the regional shows.

The three members who placed at regionals – Bernabucci, Barkauskas and Epstein – will be going to the Intercollegiate Horse Show Association Zone Finals, the qualifying show for Nationals, on Long Island, N.Y., in two weeks .

The team will also send 15 riders to the Ivy League Championships at Dartmouth at the end of April.

***

The women's rugby team had a taste of redemption this past Sunday over the opponent that kept them from going to Nationals by defeating Princeton in the fall. This time, it was the Tigers who triumphed over Navy, 25-10. The Midshipmen are a national powerhouse and one of four teams going on to Nationals in May.

Against Navy, tries were scored by junior scrum half Julia Taylor, senior outside center Caroline Gibson and senior fly half Meredith Bell.

The Tigers also defeated Virginia Tech Saturday, 24-0, to go 3-0 on the season in the East Coast Rugby Conference.

Princeton will travel to Penn State this weekend before going to the Ivy League tournament April 25 at Radcliffe.