Murray departs after 20 seasons

After winning only one game the last three seasons, the lightweight football team needed a change to attempt to get back on the right track. That change turned out to be a coaching move.

Director of Athletics Gary Walters '67 has decided not to renew the contract of lightweight football head coach Tom Murray. The decision was based on the status of the program and other internal information.

"This decision was not made easily," Walters said. "Tom has been a loyal and wonderful coach for the past 20 years. We want to attempt to go in another direction."

Murray had coached the Tigers for the last 20 seasons and compiled a career record of 36-83-6. Princeton won a share of the Eastern Lightweight Football League title in 1989, but went 0-6 in 1997.

'Shocked'

Murray said yesterday that he would have "absolutely" liked to return for next season and he was "shocked" by the decision, but would not comment further on the situation.

Walters said that the decision was reached after evaluating the team's performance over the last few seasons and examining the responses given by the players in the surveys that all Princeton athletes fill out following each season.

"Our No. 1 customer is the student-athlete," Walters said. "Their input is important to us."

Due to the confidential nature of the surveys, Walters said he was unable to comment on the responses.

The lightweight football team recorded a dismal 1-17 record over the last three seasons, but Walters emphasized that Murray is not solely at fault for the team's poor performance. Since lightweight football is primarily a walk-on sport, Princeton is at a distinct disadvantage when competing against larger schools such as Penn and Cornell.

Cornell has 7,118 male undergraduates and Penn 4,921, while Princeton only has 2,468.

Disadvantage

"Obviously (the other schools) have a bigger potential talent pool," Walters said.

Murray's removal was met with mixed reaction from team members.

"He's the greatest guy you could ever meet," sophomore wide receiver Sidney Smith said.

"It's tough to see Murray go. He was a good friend and a lot of guys weren't happy about (his not coming back)," Smith said. "However, it was probably time for a change. Something had to be done."

"I loved the guy," freshman quarterback David Wynne said. "Everyone liked him as a person. They just though that his decision making was not the best."

Walters echoed the players sentiments.

"He gave his heart and soul to his job," Walters said. "He's a quality human being."

The search for Murray's predecessor will begin soon, with interviews tentatively scheduled to begin April 1, Walter's said.

According to Walter's, there is, at this time, no thought of discontinuing the lightweight football program.

"We want the move to provide a spark of hope for the team." Walters said.