Men's track to host Heptagonal Championships

Men's track and field is looking for redemption.

All eight members of the Ivy League and Navy will converge on Jadwin Gym this weekend to compete in the Heptagonal Championships, the most important event in Princeton's season. Last year, the Tigers lost to Penn, 121-97.5, after winning Heps the previous three seasons.

This year Princeton and Penn are again the strongest teams competing. Both Brown and Navy, however, have a number of talented individuals who will take points away from the Tigers and the Quakers. In a close contest, these points could decide who wins and who remains a runner-up.

100 percent

"If we compete up to 100 percent of our ability, we can win the meet," head coach Fred Samara said. "I really believe it. We have the horses to do it. But Penn is a really enthusiastic team, and we're not discounting Navy. Navy is much better than people think."

This year's Princeton team is more suited to contend for a Heps title because it can win points in both the track and the field events. Sophomore John Mack will be looking for a repeat performance of last year's win in the 400-meter dash. Freshmen high jumper Tora Harris has already provisionally qualified for the NCAAs. Distance running, pole vault, long jump and shot put will also score points. Junior Dan Shimooka and his fellow pole vaulters have the potential to sweep the top three spots the event.

Last season, disappointing finishes in field events cost the Tigers first place.

"We had a fine team last year, but we really fell flat in the field events. Which is essentially why we lost," Samara said. "I don't think this will happen this year."

Despite track's individual focus, Heps will be decided by team performance. It won't be enough for a handful of stars like Harris, Mack and freshman shot putter Scott Denbo, a U.S Junior National and Pan America Junior champion, to take first or second place in their events. Winning the meet will depend on depth, as points are awarded to the top six finishers. Unfortunately for the Tigers, this is where they are lacking.

Compounding this problem are a number of injuries. Junior captain Royce Reed, Denbo, and senior distance runner John Carson are all recovering from injuries. The flu bug that has infected some members of the team could also hurt the Tigers.

Despite the fact that Princeton lacks depth and is plagued by injuries it does have an advantage over the visiting teams. Sunday afternoon, the 4x400 meter and 4x800 meter relays are sure to rouse the home crowd. The point margin between Penn and Princeton will not be large. If the crowd can carry the Tigers to two wins, it may be the difference between finishing another year in second place and winning a Heptagonals Championship.