Recruiting process heats up early for clubs

This year, sophomores will have an extra incentive to procrastinate at the 'Street' instead of staring at blank computer screens during Reading Period.

Because sign-ins will take place the Sunday before the start of the spring semester – four days earlier than in past years – clubs will have to concentrate their recruiting efforts in the next few weeks.

Campus Club president Kevin Moriarty '98 said his club is "focusing most of (its) recruiting on reading and finals weeks."

To attract sophomores, the clubs are hosting the usual series of study breaks, DJs and bands – only earlier.

Besides social events, the Sophomore Choice Book – which explains the different dining options – and informal information sessions hosted by the residential colleges present sophomores with their choices.

Initiated by Interclub Advisor Michael Jackman '92, this year's sessions will include general explanations of various eating options and a clarification of the sign-in and bicker processes. There will be two sessions – the first will take place Jan. 11 at 9 p.m. in Wu Hall and the second on Jan. 13 at the same time in the Rockefeller College common room. Both sessions are open to all interested students.

Past sessions have given "students a better way to identify with the system," Jackman said, adding that "the purpose is to be informative and helpful."

The meetings will also give sophomores a chance to speak to representatives of different clubs "one-on-one" so they understand the idiosyncrasies of each club better, Jackman explained.

"Sophomores usually only have hearsay knowledge about the process," said ICC and Charter Club president Jim White '98. "Info sessions are just a way to tell sophomores about their options for next year."

Dial, Elm and Cannon Club president Jen Bello '98 said the information sessions are "especially good for DEC because a lot of people don't understand the 'snicker' process" that is unique to DEC. Snicker is a system akin to a cross between sign-ins and bicker, Bello said.

Besides the 'Street,' other dining options include Stevenson, the CJL and the 2 Dickinson St., Lockhart and Brown co-ops, all of which are non-selective.

"Our concern is that people know about us, that no one feels that they are stuck with the clubs," said 2D member Chris Shephard '98.