Women’s lacrosse defeats Loyola Maryland, sets up NCAA quarterfinal rematch with BC

wlax loyola.jpg
Women's lacrosse against Loyola Maryland in the NCAA tournament. Photo Credit: Shelley M. Szwast

In cold and rainy weather, Princeton women’s lacrosse (16–3, 6–1 Ivy) defeated Loyola Maryland (16–5, 9–0 Patriot) 17–13 in the second round of the NCAA tournament. This game was the second time that the Tigers faced the Greyhounds after previously winning 14–10.

The Tigers’ NCAA journey will continue next weekend as they advance to the quarterfinals for a rematch against the Boston College Eagles, who beat Princeton in the NCAA quarterfinals last season.

This weekend’s game started with two goals from the Greyhounds within the first two minutes, but they were also quick to be handed a yellow card. Taking advantage of the man up situation, Princeton answered with a goal from senior attacker Elizabeth George. Following George was senior midfielder, Izzy Mangan with two goals of her own. By the end of the first half, Princeton was leading Loyola by one point.

The second half of the game played out much like the Tigers’ NCAA tournament opener on Friday. Their dominant win over Wagner mirrored the team’s performance in most of the second half against Loyola. Princeton scored the first six goals of the second half and held an eight-goal lead at one point, eventually winning 17–13.

“I thought we got off to a great start in the second half,” head coach Chris Sailer said. “The kids really came out hard and we were finding good looks, and we were making quick stops down on the defensive end. That lead was awesome that we were able to build up.”

Leading the Tigers was George with six goals and seven draw controls.

“She was just phenomenal,” Sailer praised. “She said after the game to me, ‘I don’t want this season to end,’ and she really played like that. She played her heart out and I thought she had a phenomenal day.”

Following George was sophomore attacker Kyla Sears with three goals and four assists. Junior attacker Tess D’Orsi managed to put three in the net and gave the Tigers an assist as well. Mangan had a total of three goals. Senior defender Nonie Andersen also helped the Tigers secure the win with eight draw controls, and sophomore goalie Sam Fish ended the game with 11 saves.

While Princeton was battling for a spot in the quarterfinals, Boston College secured theirs, beating Colorado 21–9. 

“We’re excited to play them,” Sailer said. “They’re a top team. They have some of the best players in the country, but we’re excited to play them. Last year, they were rested and we only had a day to prepare, so it’s great that we have this week ahead of us to really watch a lot of film and prepare. When you get to the quarterfinals, you’re going to be playing a great team. Regardless of who it is, we’re happy to go out there and compete.”