Letter to the Editor: Publishing the Honor System Review Committee’s charge

Dear Students,

We write to provide an update on the process by which we are reviewing the recent referenda regarding the Honor Constitution.  As explained in a letter Vice President for Campus Life W. Rochelle Calhoun, Dean of the College Jill Dolan, and Dean of the Faculty Sanjeev Kulkarni sent to students on Jan. 4, three of the four proposed amendments were remanded for consideration by the faculty Committee on Examinations and Standing, whose responsibilities include “the administration of all regulations which concern the program of study and the scholastic standing of undergraduates.”

To determine whether to put the amendments recommended by the referenda to a faculty vote, the Committee on Examinations and Standing will review the findings of the Honor System Review Committee. This student-faculty committee, co-chaired by professor Clarence Rowley ’95 and by Carolyn Liziewski ’18, was appointed in November 2017 to review the Honor System in its entirety. The HSRC’s charge was expanded in January 2018 to include consideration of the amendments recommended by the referenda.

We share below the HSRC’s charge. The committee will engage in a comprehensive review of the Honor System during the spring 2018 semester. The HSRC began weekly 90-minute meetings during the reading period in January, and it will continue to meet until May. The HSRC’s work will culminate in a report to the Committee on Examinations and Standing to recommend revisions to the Honor System and its constitution.

Our intention is to keep the student body as informed as possible during the review process. We invite you to share your opinions on the Honor System through the HSRC’s email account, hcreview@princeton.edu. Additionally, we invite you to learn more about the HSRC by visiting its website, hcreview.princeton.edu.

Do join us at the Community of Princeton University Council meeting on March 26 at 4:30 p.m., at which Rowley and Liziewski will provide updates on the HSRC’s work and answer questions.

We appreciate the student engagement with issues addressing the Honor System during the fall 2017 semester. We encourage you to continue to contribute to our review this semester.

Our best,

Jill Dolan, Dean of the College

W. Rochelle Calhoun, Vice President for Campus Life

Professor Clarence Rowley ’95, Co-Chair, HSRC

Carolyn Liziewski ’18, Co-Chair, HSRC