Men's tennis finishes non-conference play with Florida trip

After coming off of a 4–3 loss at Penn State, the Princeton men’s tennis team (15–7) traveled to Florida over spring break to compete in its final series of matches before Ivy League play begin this weekend. The 46th-ranked Tigers faced the 40th-ranked University of Central Florida (9–6), University of South Florida (11–7), and Florida Gulf Coast University (5–9). 

The Tigers kicked off their spring break trip in Tampa, Fla. on Wednesday, March 21 with a 4–3 win over South Florida. After facing defeat in doubles, the Tigers were able to bounce back with wins from senior Luke Gamble and sophomore Davey Roberts. Senior Kial Kaiser also defeated 72nd-ranked Alberto Barroso-Campos, clinching his third win in the last four matches against an ITA-ranked opponent. The Tigers were able to clinch the victory after a forfeit handed them the point. 

Coach Billy Pate explained that during this first matchup, the Tigers battled “some tough, windy conditions and didn’t play [their] best,” but they are still pleased to have defeated a quality team.

On Friday, March 22, the Tigers faced University of Central Florida at the USTA complex in Orlando where they were defeated 6–1. While the men were able to pick up the doubles point, the singles were taken by UCF. Gamble and freshman Damian Rodriguez defeated seventh-ranked pair Korey Lovett and Eero Vasa in a tiebreak 7–6(3) while senior Diego Vives and junior Jimmy Wasserman clinched the doubles point for the Tigers with a win at third doubles. While the Tigers played great doubles matches, they couldn’t execute in their singles matches to get the victory over the top 50 team. 

Finishing up its spring trip on Sunday, March 25, the men’s tennis team traveled to Florida Gulf Coast where it picked up a 4–3 win, coming back from the loss on Friday to execute its singles matches for the win. After losing the doubles point, the Tigers needed to pick up their performances for singles matches. Kaiser, Roberts, and freshman Ryan Seggerman all won their matches to put Princeton up 3–1. Gamble’s win clinched the victory for the Tigers, wrapping up their spring break trip.

Finishing on a positive note will surely boost the team’s confidence as it prepares for Ivy League play. This Saturday, March 31, the Tigers begin their conference schedule at Penn. That game kicks off a seven-match Ivy League run ending with Dartmouth on April 22.