Women’s tennis remains perfect, sweep Delaware and defeat No. 6 Auburn

After sweeping Temple University 7–0, the women’s tennis team entered the weekend slated to face off against the University of Delaware and No. 12 Auburn University. The doubleheader began on an auspicious note as the Tigers swept Delaware 7–0, taking two of three in the doubles point and sweeping the singles. However, Princeton awaited nationally ranked Auburn fresh off a sweep of Cornell University. The Tigers would knock of Auburn 4–2 improving their dual-meet record to 3–0.

Princeton opened the weekend with its match against Delaware’s Blue Hens. Replicating its result from a couple days ago, it swept Delaware to maintain its perfect 2–0 dual-meet record.

The duo of senior Sara Goodwin and freshman Nathalie Rodilosso got the Tigers off to a strong start with a doubles win. The double pair of sophomore Clare McKee and senior Katrine Steffensen would continue the team’s hot streak, winning in both singles and doubles to help lift the Tigers to victory.

Princeton would follow the victory with a match against Auburn. The Auburn Tigers had just come off a clean sweep of Cornell, giving them a 6–0 record. This was the second match between the two teams since 1981. Princeton won the initial meeting between the two teams, but at first it appeared to be the underdogs this time around.

Again, the duo of Goodwin and Rodilosso gave Princeton the start they needed, winning the first doubles set 6–0. Auburn would quickly respond by taking the next doubles set. However, McKee and Steffensen would steal the doubles point for the Orange and Black with a 6–4 victory.

Princeton would once again get to a quick start in singles play. Junior Nicole Kalhorn took the first set. Sophomore Gaby Pollner kept the momentum rolling with another win, putting Princeton within one set of victory. However, Auburn would rally with two consecutive wins. This put the heat on sophomore Tiffany Chen and Steffensen to decide the match. Despite losing the first set 3–6 to Auburn’s Alannah Griffin, Chen showed her resilience by bouncing back to win the next two sets 6–4 and 6–3. The comeback victory sealed the game for Princeton, leaving it undefeated at 3–0 so far this season.

The Tigers continue their campaign this coming weekend, hosting the ECAC Championships. Princeton split its two matches in the ECAC Championships at Harvard last year, defeating Columbia but falling to Cornell.

The tournament begins Friday, Feb. 9, and will be hosted in Jadwin Gymnasium.