Halftime update: Tigers dominating early against Hawks

IMG_1586.jpg
IMG_1586.jpg

Before many Tiger fans even had a chance to enter the stadium, their team was up the scoreboard. From there, the domination on the pitch only continued to escalate.

Princeton leads Monmouth by a score of 2-0 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The Tigers scored within the first 5 minutes of the game on a shot by junior. Mimi Asom who registered her 9th goal of the season. The Tigers used their offense as their best defense throughout the first half; constant pressure and a generation of many corner kicks kept the ball in the Hawk’s zone for much of the first half. The Tigers upped their lead to 2-0 about halfway through the first half when Asom fed sophomore Abby Givens a great pass off the a Princeton corner kick. Princeton outshot Monmouth 13 - 3 overall and 5 - 2 on goal. Monmouth’s main opportunity for attack came off a free kick, which was deflected away by sophomore goalie Natalie Grossi. Grossi also stopped a shot with 40 seconds in the first half, picking the ball off of a would be Monmouth scorer. 

So far, Monmouth goalie Amanda Knaub has kept the Hawks within relative striking distance. But if the Tigers keep up the way they are playing, things look promising for the lead to only grow.