Weekend sweep for women's field hockey against Brown and Northeastern

RothNortheastern.jpg

The Princeton women’s field hockey team had an extremely successful weekend, with two consecutive wins against the Brown Bears and the Northeastern Huskies. 

The team was all about one thing on Saturday at Goldberger Field in Providence, R.I. — unity. With 11 goals coming from nine different players, it seemed like almost everyone got their chance at goal. The scoring began right off the bat, with freshman midfielder Clara Roth scoring just 77 seconds into the game off a corner rebound, sending the ball right into the cage. Brown’s Katherine Kallergis responded with a shot just minutes later, but this would be Brown’s only goal of the game. Roth took her lead back just 90 seconds after and sent yet another rebound into the goal to make it 2-1. 

Once junior striker Sophia Tornetta scored the team’s third goal, the team’s play spiraled in major offensive success. Princeton had three more tallies during a six-minute span to move the score to 6-1 by halftime. Of the six goals in the first half, four came off penalty shots. The game also presented sophomore midfielder Taylor Nolan with her first two career-goals in the game. The rest of the team’s goals came from senior Ryan McCarthy, juniors Jane Donio-Enscoe and Casey Swezey, and freshmen MaryKate Neff and Julianna Tornetta. 

The Orange and Black’s 11 goals are tied for the second most in a single-game in program history. The Tigers finished the game with a 36-1 shot advantage, a 9-0 lead in penalty corners, and some solid confidence to stand on going into Sunday’s game. 

On Sunday, the Tigers made their way to Dedham Field outside Boston to face the Northeastern Huskies. Once again, the team started off with the goals right away, as McCarthy knocked off her 12th leading goal of the season. Offensively, Princeton kept taking shots at Northeastern, sending four more shots on the cage during a five-minute span, but couldn't get one through. Then, the home team earned a corner as the clock expired, but both its attempts were blocked. In the first 35 minutes of the game, Princeton had a 9-3 shot advantage. McCarthy’s goals were finally followed by two more later in the game from junior Elise Wong and Neff to make the final score 3-0. 

The Tigers advance to 4-0 in the Ivy League and 8-6 overall in the season. Their next game will be on the road at No. 13 Harvard next Saturday at noon. Harvard won the title last year and both teams are both 4-0 in the Ivy League, so it's sure to be a hard-fought battle in Cambridge.