Men’s tennis defeats Dartmouth, drops match to Harvard in weekend series

In their weekend home bouts against Ivy League competitors this weekend, the men’s tennis team split their two matches, rebounding after a 3-4 heartbreaking loss to Harvard to take a 4-2 win against Dartmouth. The weekend series moves the Tigers to 13-12 overall and 3-3 in the Ivy League.

The Tigers entered their match against the Crimson on a two-game winning streak, having topped Yale and Brown a weekend before. Harvard and Princeton were locked in agonizingly close competition for much of the dual meet, with the score reaching a nail-biting 3-4. Senior Tom Colautti, playing at first singles, continued a season of remarkable performance and tenacity, prevailing in two out of three sets over Harvard’s Sebastian Beltrame.

Meanwhile, at second singles, senior Alex Day likewise clinched a signature victory over the No. 121-ranked Kenny Tao from Harvard. At sixth singles, senior Jonathan Carcione took his match against Harvard’s Christopher Morrow in straight sets. But the Crimson matched every Princeton victory with a tough win of their own, clinching the doubles point and three singles bouts. Ultimately, it would be Harvard that walked away from the court with a 4-3 advantage, having eked out a heartbreaking win over Princeton.

The Tigers had little time to mourn their close defeat, as they stepped out again the next day against Dartmouth. Princeton jumped out to a seemingly-unstoppable lead, grabbing the first three points. The doubles teams of freshman Payton Holden and sophomore Jimmy Wasserman and junior Luke Gamble with Carcione decisively won their matches, claiming the coveted doubles point, while Carcione and Day repeated as victors in their singles matches. But Dartmouth rallied with wins at 3rd and 5th singles and was poised for a comeback, when Princeton junior Kial Kaiser dropped the first set of his game 1-6. But Kaiser hung tough, rallying from his deficit to win the next two matches and claim the fourth singles match, clinching a 4-2 victory for Princeton.

The Tigers head for their final regular season match against Penn this weekend before competing at NCAA regionals, where they hope to have the chance to truly break out onto the national scene.