Students flock to purchase tickets for men's and women's basketball at Ivy conference

An estimated 200 students waited in line to buy tickets at Frist Campus Center for the Ivy League Basketball Tournament to be held March 11-12 at the Palestra in Philadelphia. Some students arrived as early as 7 a.m. to wait for the limited number of tickets.

This marks the first ever Ivy conference basketball tournament, and each team is allotted a total of 247 tickets to sell to students. The semifinals will take place Saturday with the finals following on Sunday.

Members of the basketball teams handed out Tiger giveaway items and pizza to students waiting in line for their tickets.

Both the men’s and women’s basketball teams have clinched spots in the tournament, with the men’s team sweeping the Ivy League 14-0. The Tigers are 21-6 overall. Their last-second win over Harvard helped them top off a perfect league record. The men’s team is one of only two teams to finish undefeated in conference play this year.

The women’s basketball team is 9-5 in the Ivy League, second only to Penn at 13-1. They finished 15-12 overall.

The tournament only includes the top four league finishers in the Ivy League.

The Tigers, the Crimson, the Bulldogs, and the Quakers will compete this weekend in the tournament. The NCAA has called this tournament the Ivy League’s own March Madness.