Letter to the Editor: For Wonshik

I knew Wonshik from the year I spent with him in VTone. I remember first joining VTone and hearing these whispers of a handsome freshman boy, previously a star in Korean reality TV. And then I met him, and it was all true. He was beautiful, with the most beautiful voice to match.

But that wasn’t the most extraordinary thing about him. What I didn’t expect, what no one told me, was the kindness that radiated from his soul, the silliness of his laughter, the goofiness of his grin. Despite his looks, his voice, his somewhat of celebrity status in Korea, he was so friendly, so humble, so gentle. And if the tens of dozens of Facebook posts that're flooding his wall tell you anything, it’s that he was loved by everyone, simply because it was impossible for him not to be.

I’m sorry for the world that never gets to see him sing again, or smile again, or feel his presence light up a space again. Without him, there is not only less talent, but also less goodness in the world.

Wonshik, I’ll miss your Hollister cardigans and your wire-rimmed glasses and the way your voice sounded in harmony with mine. I’m so sorry you had to go. I’m so glad I met you. I love you.

Felicia Jiang is a Civil and Environmental Engineering major from Blacksburg, VA. She could be reached at feliciaj@princeton.edu.