Women’s field hockey on a roll in Rio, beats India 3-0

The U.S. women's field hockey team gained even more momentum Thursday evening in Rio after beating No. 13 India, 3-0. The game started rather slowly, as both teams took a while to find their rhythm, until Katie Bam scored the first goal at the end of the first quarter. Bam, who led Team USA in scoring a day earlier against Japan, received a reverse-stick pass from teammate Katelyn Falgowski to chip the ball into the goal. The Americans picked up their pace from there, with Bam scoring a second goal and Melissa Gonzalez scoring the third. While the offensive players, including midfielder Katie Reinprecht ’13 and forward Kathleen Sharkey ’13, made the goal-scoring plays, the U.S. defense deserves just as much, if not more, credit. Goalkeeper Jackie Briggs has been on her toes throughout the tournament, shutting out all of India’s shot attempts. Princetonian Julia Reinprecht ’14 also has helped keep the defense tight. Team USA is getting used to its top spot in Pool B and now has 12 points to its name. The ultimate winner will be determined in a matchup between the U.S. and Great Britain, two teams that have been playing exceptionally well in these Olympic Games. The U.S. is ranked No. 5 in the FIH world rankings, while Great Britain is unranked. The United States and Great Britain will go head-to-head on Saturday at 5:00 p.m. EDT.