Katharine Holmes ’17 falls in Individual Épée Round of 32

After receiving a bye in the round of 64, Katharine Holmes '17 fell to Erika Kirpu of Estonia by a score of 5-4. Unfortunately for Holmes, the loss eliminated her from the women’s individual épée tournament on Saturday morning.

The lowest scoring bout of the entire tournament, Holmes’ duel against Kirpu showcased impeccable defense on both sides of the piste. Following a scoreless first period, the two exchanged point after point, with Holmes responding to each one of Kirpu’s touches.

Pressure in the Carioca Arena rose when the Princetonian and her counterpart found themselves tied at 4-4 after the third and final period. During a bout-deciding overtime, Kirpu scored the clinching point 36 seconds into the extra period.

Kirpu would eventually fall to Sarra Besbes of Tunisia in the following round.

The highly-anticipated gold medal match at the end of the tournament featured two of fencing’s greatest rivals: Italy and Hungary. In the end, Emese Szasz of Hungary and Rossella Fiamingo of Italy did not disappoint. After a highly contested 15-13 battle, Szasz walked away with the day’s greatest prize: the gold medal.

For Holmes, Saturday’s match represented the pinnacle of a long journey. After dominating the Ivy fencing scene for three years, the three-time All-American took two years off to train for the Olympics.

In an interview with the American Sports Network, Holmes explained that she had always wanted to compete in the Olympics, training six days a week during her leave of absence. During the same interview, Princeton women’s fencing coach Zoltan Dudas describes Holmes as one his most determined and goal orientated students.

Fortunately for the Washington, D.C. native, she still has one more chance in the women’s team épée. Alongside the Hurley sisters, Courtney and Kelley, Holmes will represent the United State on Thursday – another opportunity to achieve her career-long dream.