Hillary Clinton outlines her differences with Trump in acceptance speech

hillary
hillary

hillary

PHILADELPHIA —Thursdaynight saw the end of the 2016 Democratic National Convention, a four-day political extravaganza featuring numerous spectacular speeches. In accordance with tradition, Democratic Presidential Nominee Hillary Clinton addressed the convention on its final day.

Introduced by her daughter Chelsea, Clinton took to the stage with applause and cheering from the audience. After waiting for the crowd to quiet down, Clinton proceeded to thank many of those who had spoken before her, including her daughter Chelsea Clinton, husband and former President Bill Clinton, President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama '85, Vice President Joe Biden and Democratic Nominee for Vice President Tim Kaine.

She then extended thanks to her one-time opponent, Senator Bernie Sanders, who until recently had been running against her for the nomination. In particular, she highlighted both his widespread appeal to voters, especially young voters, and his impact on the democratic platform’s approach to issues of economic justice and social change. She also made a direct appeal to those who had supported him.

“To all of your supporters here and around the country: I want you to know, I’ve heard you. Your cause is our cause. Our country needs your ideas, energy and passion. That’s the only way we can turn our progressive platform into real change for America. We wrote it together —now let’s go out there and make it happen together,” Clinton said.

The theme of unity, reflected heavily in Clinton’s campaign slogan “Stronger Together,” was also featured prominently throughout her speech. Clinton used this theme to attack Trump, insisting that “he [Trump] wants to divide us —from the rest of the world, and from each other.”

She further criticized him for remarks made at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland where, in reference to America’s set of problems, he said “I alone can fix it.”

This, Clinton said, is not how Americans respond to problems. Instead of saying "I alone can fix it," Americans say “We’ll fix it together,” said Clinton.

These criticisms led Clinton to explain the greater relevance of “Stronger Together.” Clinton noted that “‘Stronger Together’ is not just a lesson from our history. It’s not just a slogan for our campaign. It’s a guiding principle for the country we’ve always been and the future we’re going to build.” Clinton then officially accepted the nomination for President of the United States.

Clinton subsequently explained how her upbringing and past had shaped her as a person. She discussed the backgrounds of both of her parents, as well as her own early work in activism and service. Connecting the two, she talked about meeting a child in a wheelchair, and how this girl’s desire to get an education reminded her of her mother.

“It became clear to me that simply caring is not enough,” Clinton said. “To drive real progress, you have to change both hearts and laws. You need both understanding and action.”

She also aligned herself once again with the current democratic administration, praising President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden's work in restoring the economy as "real progress." Still, she said, “none of us can be satisfied with the status quo. Not by a long shot.”

Clinton also acknowledged that while some of voters are correct to feel frustrated.

“It’s not working the way it should… Democrats are the party of working people. But we haven’t done a good enough job showing that we get what you’re going through, and that we’re going to do something about it,” she said.

Clinton then proceeded to outline her plan for bettering the country as President. This took may forms, from broad appeals for “good jobs with rising wages” to promises to reform Wall Street. Clinton also stated her belief in science and climate change.

Among the beliefs of her campaign are higher minimum wage, the right to affordable healthcare, standing up to unfair trade deals, expanding social security, protecting a woman’s right to choose as well as equal pay, she said.

Clinton also drew contrasts between herself and Trump, all while attacking him for his actions both on the campaign trail and as a businessman. She mentioned his refusal to pay contractors who worked for him in Atlantic City, the fact that many of his own products are manufactured overseas and his statement that he “know[s] more about ISIS than the generals do.” To this final sentiment, she replied curtly “No Donald, you don’t.”

Additionally, Clinton also mentioned Mike Pence’s son when discussing respect for members of the military. She also assured voters that she is “not here to take away your guns,” in a clear rebuke of general conservative political sentiment.

“Here’s the sad truth: There is no other Donald Trump. This is it. And in the end, it comes down to what Donald Trump doesn’t get: that America is great, because America is good,” she said.

She assured the audience that despite the fact that they may not live to see the full fruits of their labor, the greatest gift to give was to plant “seeds in a garden you never get to see.”

“Let’s be stronger together, my fellow Americans. Let’s look to the future with courage and confidence. Let’s build a bettertomorrowfor our beloved children and our beloved country. And when we do America will be greater than ever,” she ended.