Update: Causes of reported gastrointestinal illnesses not found yet

There have been no conclusions made concerning the particulars of the connection between the reported gastrointestinal illnesses among students and their having eaten at Colonial Club, according to Assistant Vice President of Communications Daniel Day.

Multiple students reported symptoms of gastrointestinal illnesses last Thursday and Friday after dining in Colonial, University Media Relations Specialist Min Pullan said.

The students who reported to McCosh Health Center with gastrointestinal illnesses all confirmed eating at Colonial within the prior 48 hours, according to Pullan.

The cause of the illness has not been determined but sanitizing procedures have been carried out, she said.

Day added that administrators will produce a more comprehensive response as to the source of students' illnesses as soon as more information becomes available.

Manager of University Health Services Kristen Palkovich did not respond to request for comment.

Jeffrey Grosser, health officer for the town of Princeton, did not respond to requests for comment.

Colonial President Christopher Yu ’17 did not respond to requests for comment.

Colonial House Manager Andrew Ruchames ’17 did not respond to requests for comment.

In an email sent to members of Colonial, Yu said he received replies from almost 30 people who reported being sick with food poisoning, diarrhea and vomiting. Yu noted that this group included of those who had eaten at the Club, as well as those who didn’t, andadded that the illnesses could be due to other causes, such a stomach flu going around campus. In addition, Yu noted that there was little commonality between the foods that sick individuals reported eating.

Multiple members of Colonial declined to comment, noting that they were unable to comment on the situation due to a lack of information concerning particulars of the illnesses.

Colonial member Sally Jiao ’18 said that the incidences were not confirmed to be food poisoning.

Another Colonial member Nuss Visatemongkolchai ’18 added that the incidents may be spread due to a contagious stomach flu rather than foods from Colonial, since people have been getting sick on different days and there perhaps isn’t a common denominator food that would make them sick. Visatemongkolchai added that she continues to eat at Colonial every day.

Colonial member Daniel Pan ’18 said that he sometimes eats at Colonial for dinners and study breaks and added that the illnesses going around could be due to people hanging out with similar social groups and giving it to each other, rather than getting sick from the food itself.

Pullan noted that there have been no other reported cases of food poisoning at other eating clubs nor at the U-Store.

U-Store President James Sykes said that he was unaware of any illnesses and that no incidences of gastrointestinal illnesses have been reported to him or others at the U-Store.

Sykes added that all foods at the U-Store are temperature-controlled and are checked three times a day. He said that foods are taken off the shelves when, for instance, the temperature has been too high for too long.

“That doesn’t happen very often, but we obviously follow those processes,” he said, “I’ve been here for 20 years and never had a problem with food safety or any concern like that.”