Men's Volleyball splits weekend at Harvard and Sacred Heart

After a difficult season, the men’s volleyball team wrapped up the year with away games at Harvard and Sacred Heart this Friday and Saturday. The Tigers started the weekend in Cambridge, losing to the Crimson, 3-0. The Princeton squad then faced the Pioneers. Again, the Tigers found themselves in a pinch and looked to suffer another loss. However, the Orange and Black stepped up in the final set to end the season with a much-needed win, 3-2.

While recently plagued by a slump in form, the Tigers were eager to have an opportunity to face off against Ivy rivals, the Crimson. Despite a notable performance from senior outside hitter Devin Stearns, who recorded 13 kills, the Crimson managed to take control of the game. They would eventually sweep the Tigers in three sets, albeit facing strong resistance. Indeed, in the final set alone, there were two lead changes and seven tied scores. Harvard would later qualify for the EIVA tournament after a 3-1 win over NJIT.

The Tigers did not have time to mull over their setback, as they soon had to travel to Sacred Heart for their final match of the season. However, few could have guessed what a thriller it would turn out to be.

Although the Tigers would eventually claim an exciting victory, the match did not start out as promising for the Princeton squad. Indeed, the Pioneers would land the first punch by taking the first set, 18-25. However, the Tigers maintained their poise and responded in a large way: Princeton managed to claim the next two sets, 25-18 and 25-21. Sacred Heart was determined to stop the Tiger comeback, however. The Pioneers climbed back into the match with a narrow 25-22 victory to send the match into the fifth set.

Princeton has had its fair share of heartbreak when the game came down to the wire. The Tigers had lost the last three games that went to five sets. Yet, the Princeton squad seemed destined to break their cold streak.

Learning their lesson this time, the Tigers started the set on a high note, grabbing five of the first seven points. Sacred Heart would slowly chip away at the Tiger lead, eventually tying Princeton, 12-12. However, Stearns would break the deadlock, giving Princeton a 13-12 advantage. Princeton would take the set, 15-12, to close out the game and the season with a win.

While it has certainly been a tough season for the men’s volleyball team and definitely not the one they imagined, the Tigers showed remarkable resilience as they closed out the season. Part of this resilience is, perhaps, embodied by their latest performance, showing the excitement and passion of the team in the face of adversity. And although the season has come to a close, the sparks of brilliance hold much promise for next year.