Women's basketball drops close game to Penn

In what can only be described as heartbreaking, the women’s basketball team saw their 12-game winning-streak come to an end at the hands of Ivy League rival, Penn. In a 62-60 win, the Quakers handed the Tigers their first loss at home in 25 games and clinched a spot in the NCAA tournament. Princeton will have to wait until Monday’s NCAA Selection Show for news of their postseason.

The Quakers would throw the first punch in the heated match-up. With nine straight points, Penn surged ahead of Princeton for an early lead, 14-8. The Tigers, however, would claw their way back, showing the grit and determination behind 12 consecutive wins. The Princeton squad managed to take a short-lived 20-19 lead in the second quarter, but Penn quickly retook the lead on its next possession, and the two teams matched basket for basket.

The second half of the game saw larger swings as both Penn and Princeton took control of the game from period to period. Again, it was the Quakers who struck first. Heading into the third quarter with a six-point lead, the Penn squad found their rhythm and extended the lead to its largest of the night, 37-28. Soon after, the Tigers would respond to the challenge with four straight buckets.

The two teams would then once again reach a standstill with Penn keeping its distance as the clock began to run down. However, the Tigers were not ready for their season to end yet. With just under six minutes left on the clock, the Orange and Black would fire up the home crowd with an 11-4 run. The shift in momentum would also help the Princeton squad take a crucial lead late in the game, 56-55.

The Quakers remained calm and collected, however, firing back to fight off the Princeton run. In clutch time senior guard Michelle Miller managed to grab an offensive rebound and score another two points, bringing the game within one possession. But, after a Tiger foul and two more free throws, the game slipped out of reach. Penn or Princeton have now won the last seven Ivy titles, with the Quakers picking up their second crown this year.

While it was not the ending they were hoping for, the Tigers still have plenty to be proud of as they reflect back on the season. Fans of Princeton basketball will be hoping on Monday that their team makes it into the postseason. Indeed, if their current season has been any indication, the Princeton squad still have plenty left to show.