Tough weekends for both men’s and women’s hockey

Women’s Hockey

The Princeton women’s ice hockey team (5-2-1 overall, 3-2-1 ECAC) competed in two close games this past weekend against Quinnipiac University (7-1-3, 3-1-2 ECAC) but was unsuccessful in clutching a win. The Orange and Black began the home-and-home series at Quinnipiac on Friday night at the TD Bank Sports Center. The Bobcats started the first period with great momentum, scoring their first goal at only 14 minutes into the game. The score remained 1-0 Bobcats until the third period, when freshman forward Karlie Lund scored a high shot over the glove of Sydney Rossman for the Tigers to tie the game. Senior goalie Kimberly Newell made an impressive 30 saves, but both teams went scoreless after the third quarter and the game ended in a draw.

The next day, the Tigers set out to play the Bobcats once again, hoping for a more successful outcome on the historic Baker Rink. This time, the Tigers were the ones with the momentum at the start, maintaining a 1-0 lead for the first 40 minutes of the game. Junior forward Molly Contini scored her first goal of the season with the help of sophomore forward Kierstan Falk. The Bobcats returned the goal at 7:31 of the second quarter, with freshman forward Taylar Cianfarano scoring their first goal of the game. The Bobcats came back strong in the third quarter, scoring two goals right off the bat with only one minute and 40 seconds in between each one. The Tigers called a timeout to regroup late in the game, but the Bobcats secured the win at eight seconds left with a goal from junior forward Emma Woods.

Despite the difficult weekend though, freshman forward Karlie Lund received her second ECAC Hockey Rookie of the Week honor. In her first season, Karlie Lund has already scored a total of eight points in eight overall games.

The No. 10-ranked Tigers will travel to Canton, N.Y. to play St. Lawrence on Friday at 7 p.m. and to Potsdam, N.Y. to play Clarkson on Saturday at 4 p.m.

Men’s Hockey

The Princeton men’s ice hockey team (1-5 overall, 0-4 ECAC) did not achieve the success it was hoping for this past weekend. On Friday, the Orange and Black faced off against Dartmouth (2-4-0, 2-4-0) at Baker Rink. The Big Green came out strong immediately, with three goals in the first period. Freshman forward Ryan Kuffner scored his first collegiate career goal off of a power play in the second quarter and senior forward Jonathan Liau scored Princeton’s second goal in the third quarter. The Orange and Black was unable to score in the fourth quarter though, and the Tigers came up just short in a 3-2 loss.

On Saturday, the Tigers was once again unable to redeem themselves against the Harvard Crimson (4-1-1, 4-1-1). No. 7-ranked Harvard shut out the Tigers in a 3-0 loss, with two empty net goals to end the game. Despite the loss, junior goalie Colton Phinney was still able to make 39 saves in the game. Furthermore, Princeton’s 38 shots were the most the Tigers have shot in a game since March 2, 2013.

Princeton will host St. Lawrence and Clarkson this coming weekend, with games at 7 p.m. on both Friday and Saturday at Baker Rink.