Mr. Hollande, No new wars

In the days following the terrorist attacks in Paris on Friday, Nov. 13, the world has come together in remarkable ways to show France solidarity. Sporting events across the United States took a moment of silence to honor the victims. Facebook implemented a temporary French flag profile picture. President Obama made a statement that the United States was prepared to aid France with whatever it needed in the coming days. Here at Princeton, a candlelight vigil was held.

While this tragedy has caused extreme chaos, it has also brought about a remarkable sense of unity and solidarity, bringing people and even countries together in deeply meaningful ways that will hopefully last much longer than this crisis.

The attacks across France on Friday the 13th were not bad luck, and were outside the control of the French government. As the world mourns this attack, however, one thing is clearly within our control: our response to such crises.

French President Francois Hollande came out with a statement that the shootings and bombing constituted an “act of war” against the nation of France. As the initial mourning process passes and the country returns to work, Hollande stated that France “will lead the fight” in the response to the attacks and that they “will be ruthless.” According to the New York Times, as of Friday afternoon Hollande had declared a state of national emergency and the French military had begun conducting major airstrikes on Islamic State targets in Syria.

Although the United States has done its part in showing solidarity with France, it must take care that it doesn’t let France commit the same mistake we made after 9/11. In the aftermath of that tragedy, it mattered more to Americans that something was done, than that the reaction was the proper longer-term response. In the furor of the moment, George W. Bush succumbed to the pressure to jump to quick military action to avoid looking like he was going standby and letting America get pushed around.

Instead of cautioning our ally, some of our leaders are taking the opposite approach. Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush, on this weekend’s “Meet the Press,” called on the United States to “declare war” on ISIS. Warning about “a caliphate the size of Indiana,” Bush and others are appealing to our emotions, rather than our logic.

President Hollande cannot make the same mistake.

No matter his government’s response in the coming weeks, the attacks of Friday will always be a black mark on his record. Will Hollande act in a way that makes sure he looks strong in the short term, or in a way that sets France — and the world — on track for a more presiding period of peace than 20 prolonged and costly years of “the war on terrorism”? When we respond with armed forces to attacks such as these, we end up causing more damage than the initial attacks did. On 9/11, 2,996 people were killed, but there have already been 4,409 U.S military deaths alone since then, in addition to the countless civilian casualties.

France’s anger is justified. I am not trying to delegitimize the anger that many, both in France and globally, are feeling. However, we also have an obligation to not let France’s response drift into the realm of vengeance. As one of France’s oldest allies and friends, we have the responsibility to provide any aid that France may need, but we also have the fundamental responsibility not to further and unnecessarily provoke France towards an aggressive response. We need to support, but we also need to caution. France cannot become the country where the President feels like he has to declare a broad and blind war on terror so that it looks like he has political backbone.

Yes, France should carry out a thorough investigation to find out how such an atrocity could occur. Yes, France should seek what justice they can from the guilty culprits. Yes, Parisians should decide what policy changes need to be made to help prevent such attacks in the near future. But Mr. Hollande, we cannot have another war on terror.

Luke Gamble is a sophomore from Eagle, Idaho. He can be reached at ljgamble@princeton.edu.