Men's soccer defeats Binghamton in showdown on the road

It was an excellent weekend for the men's soccer team, as they traveled to defeat Binghamton University 3-1 this past Saturday.

After an excellent 2-1 victory over Boston University in their home opener, the men’s soccer team (3-2) looked to repeat their feat when they travelled to the Bearcats Sports Complex at Binghamton (5-4) to face the New York side.

Binghamton tried to take charge of the game in the first half, dominating possession and pushing forward to try and claim the ever-important first goal of the game. However, as the game went on, the Tigers got themselves in the game and were in fact the more dangerous team, with senior forwards Thomas Sanner and Brendan McSherry threatening the Binghamton goal multiple times, including a 25th minute chance that McSherry headed just wide of the goal.

However, the Tigers could not break the deadlock in the first half in a balanced game, and had to wait until past the hour mark until they could find the net. An excellent free-kick from McSherry gave Sanner a chance to pounce home, and Sanner did not miss out to grab his third goal of the season.

Sanner doubled his tally only two minutes later, scoring another poacher’s goal after a beautiful pass from junior Greg Seifert. This goal pushed Sanner’s season total to four goals, his 23rd overall goal for the Tigers, placing him 13th in the all-time list.

McSherry turned goalscorer in the 77th minute as freshman Jeremy Colvin got his second assist of the season. McSherry took advantage of a great Colvin run and took a pass on the right flank before finding the net.

The Tigers could not prevent Binghamton from scoring, however, as an 81st minute free-kick from Bret Celeste sailed over all the Tigers’ defenders and senior goalkeeper Benjamin Hummel and into the back of the net.

This positive game was an important result for the Tigers as they prepared for a huge game against American University Tuesday night at Roberts Stadium at 7 p.m. This game will be televised live on ESPNU and the Tigers will hope to extend their unbeaten streak at home. A victory against American would provide the Tigers with great encouragement prior to their first Ivy League game in Hanover against Dartmouth this weekend.