Women's lacrosse falls in NCAA Quarterfinals to Duke Blue Devils

The women’s lacrosse team’s surging season came to an abrupt end this pastSaturdayas the Duke Blue Devils defeated the Tigers (16-4 overall, 7-0 Ivy League) by a score of 7-3 in the NCAA quarterfinals. At the end of the day, the formidable Blue Devil defense, ranked ninthin the nation in goals allowed per game, proved to be insurmountable, holding the Tigers to their lowest scoring game since 2006.

Prior toSaturday’smatchup Duke (16-4, 5-2 Atlantic Coast Conference)had established itself as a powerhouse in collegiate women’s lacrosse, competing late in the NCAA tournament annually. The Blue Devils were especially hungry for victoryon Saturdayas the team had fallen in the quarterfinals for two consecutive years – both times against then (and current) No. 1 seed Maryland.

At the same time, the Tigers enteredSaturday’sgame as one of the strongest women’s lacrosse teams in recent Princeton history. The Tigers boast a powerhouse leadership consisting of senior attacker Erin McMunn, senior midfielder Erin Slifer and junior defender Liz Bannantine, who along with sophomore midfielder Olivia Hompe earned All-Region honors this season. Having dominated Fairfield and Stony Brook in the first two rounds of the tournament, the Tigers were poised for action.

The last time the two teams collided in the NCAA Tournament, Duke eliminated Princeton in a double overtime thriller, adding to the Tiger’s motivation this year.

As such, the two teams convened at Duke’s home field on a hotSaturdayafternoon. Princeton’s offense drew first blood as junior midfielder Anya Gersoff scored three minutes into the game. However, the Tigers fell into a dry spell immediately afterward as Duke’s defense proved its potency early on. The Blue Devils proceeded to take advantage of the Tiger’s lackluster offense, scoring the three remaining goals of the period.

Following halftime, the Tigers returned to the field poised for a comeback. Despite a poor first period performance, the team lagged only two goals behind the Blue Devils. Hompe scored under a minute into the second period, making it a one goal game.

Unfortunately, the Blue Devils responded with equal urgency. Duke would proceed to score two back-to-back goals, extending their lead to 5-2. Even with the lead, the Blue Devils continued their relentless play, scoring two more goals, including one with just nine seconds left in the game – the nail in the coffin for the Tigers.

Despite the ever-widening lead, the Tigers persevered until the last second.

“[The] biggest thing about yesterday was just that I think we just put up a really good fight," McMunn said. "Even in the last few minutes of the game, we didn't stop believing that we were going to do what we had to do to pull that game out.”

While the Tigers certainly could have performed better inSaturday’sgame, it is impossible to overlook the team’s success and growth this season. Earlier this year, the team welcomed in a large freshman class raising more questions than answers.

Looking back on this season’s success, Princeton earned an undefeated Ivy League record, ending conference rival Penn’s eight-year tenure at the top. The team’s quarterfinal appearance also marked an improvement on last year’s second-round elimination.

“I'm sorry that we couldn't send our seniors out on a happier note, but I know I speak for all the underclassmen when I say that we love them and know they are the backbone of this team," Hompe said. "We will miss them more than anything next year, but plan to get back towork in a few weeks to step into the stunning legacy they've left us.”

Fortunately, the Tigers will not send off a star senior class lamenting the could-be tournament victory but rather celebrating a record-shattering four years.

“I'm so proud to have played for this team, and I'm so grateful that this is the group I got to end my career with," McMunn said, reminiscing on a great career and looking forward to the future. "The returners next year are going to keep taking the program to new heights, and we can't wait to see where they go.”