Men's golf come 5th at Princeton Invitational, look forward to Ivy League Championship

The Princeton Invitational came to a closeon Sundaywith the Tigers moving up five spots to fifth place in the 13-team field. Princeton was +24 followingSaturday’sround at Aronimink Golf Club buton Sundayat Merion Golf Club turned in the second best team score of the day at +9, only behind Yale who won the tournament with an impressive +11 total. Also finishing ahead of Princeton were Seton Hall and Temple both at +26 and Rutgers at +30. The Tigers finished with a score of +33.

Individually, Princeton had two top-10 finishes, with sophomore Quinn Prchal and freshman Marc Hedrick finishing eighthand ninthwith two day scores of +3 and +4, respectively. The underclassmen have gotten off to a quick start this spring with Prchal, Hedrick and fellow freshman Michael Davis consistently leading the charge.

Commenting on the matter last week, Hedrick said, “I'd say that coming off the offseason and this winter, Mike (Davis) and I are playing well because we have been able to get our games almost back to where they were in the fall quicker than most of the other guys on the team. A lot of golf is just who is playing better on a given day. I would expect to see some of the other guys on the team start playing a little better as everyone shakes off the rust a little more.”

It appears as though the upperclassmen are still shaking off the rust, though, as sophomore Alex Dombrowski and Davis were Princeton’s only other top-50 finishers, finishing T-27 and T-41 respectively. But Hedrick thinks it’s premature to say that the underclassmen have taken the reigns.

“I don't think we have quite taken the reigns. Golf scores are so volatile and having just come off our offseason we are still working to get back into shape. Right now we may be scoring a little better but the older guys on the team are really close to jumping right back down there and we are looking to them coming towards the end of the season and making a run at Ivies and hopefully nationals.”

But with the Princeton Invitational complete, the Ivy League Championship and potentially the NCAA National Championship are the only events left on the schedule. Princeton will enter the Championship ranked fifthin the Ivy League behind Dartmouth, Columbia, Harvard and Yale. Pulling out the victory will require a strong performance from the whole team as the Tigers’ team scoring average is a full 10 strokes higher than Yale’s, who will enter the tournament hot off their Princeton Invitational victory.

But don’t count them out. As Hedrick says, “The goal here is to win the Ivy League Championship every year.” And this year is no exception.