News & Notes: Harvard receives record-breaking number of applications for Class of 2019

Harvard received 37,305 applications for its undergraduate Class of 2019, 3,010 more than for the Class of 2018, according to The Harvard Crimson.

The Harvard College Connection, a new program geared toward reaching out to low-income students, may have contributed to the increase in applicants this year, explained William Fitzsimmons, dean of admissions. Fitzsimmons also said that Kenneth Griffin's contribution of at least $125 million to financial aid last year was a possible factor for the increase in applications.

According to Fitzsimmons, nearly 75 percent of applicants expressed interest in obtaining financial aid from Harvard, which also marked an increase from previous years.

Currently, 977 students of the Class of 2019 have already gained acceptance to Harvard from the restrictive early action program, to which a total of 5,919 students originally applied. This year's early action acceptance rate of 16.5 percent has been the lowest thus far since the program was re-established in 2011.

Yale has received 30,227 undergraduate applications this year, Dartmouth received nearly 20,500 applications and Brown received 30,360 applications.The University received 26,993 applications to its Class of 2019.