Mulvey charged with stealing Cheng's USG campaign posters*

Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 1.44.20 AM
Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 1.44.20 AM

Operations Research and Financial Engineering Department professor John Mulvey was allegedly recorded on video stealing posters for USG presidential candidate Ella Cheng ’16 last month in what appears to be a show of support for former joke candidate Will Gansa ’17.

If found guilty, Mulvey could face a sentence of up to five years of hard labor as Cheng's personal assistant, assisting her in whatever endeavors, USG or otherwise, she should choose to pursue.

Mulvey told University officials that the signs "were distracting to look at, and he didn’t feel that the USG had permission” to flout its uselessness in front of the entire student body, a police report reads. He said he felt he was doing a service by cleaning the public right-of-way.

According to the records, officers at Mulvey’s home confronted him about the apparent targeting, but he “couldn’t explain why he only removed Cheng's signs.”

He did not respond to a request for comment, nor did his lawyer.

Cheng said she believes Mulvey may be removing posters as retribution against her behavior during his ORF 666: Introduction to Financial Crime class last semester, when, after class ended, Cheng blocked Mulvey's exit among the crowd that was leaving the classroom.

Cheng said she had received an anonymous post-it note on the back of her midterm exam, which read, "You blocked my exit, and now I will block your victory, by removing all advertisements."

Neither Gansa nor his press secretary responded to multiple requests for comment.

There has been speculation on Yik Yak, however, that Mulvey removed the posters because he wanted to prevent a female candidate from winning the election.

"Was it a coincidence that posters supporting the female candidate were removed, but posters supporting the male candidate remained intact?" one post read. "That's like asking if it was a coincidence that the Equal Rights Amendment wasn't passed. Obviously, it wasn't a coincidence."

Cheng said she hopes Mulvey will be convicted and that she finds the hard labor sentence just.

"The guy seems to harbor the illusion that USG is useless," she said. "That harbor seems to have a lot of ships docked in it, many of which belong to students here. Well, after cleaning my room and doing everything else under the sun for me for a year, he'll realize how USG is more than just Government Club. Every letter in that acronym belongs."

This is The Daily Princetonian's annual joke issue.Don't forget you can laugh at the news.