Tigers drop two Ivy meetings on the road in return to action

20131116_MHockeyV.Harvard_BenKoger_1039
20131116_MHockeyV.Harvard_BenKoger_1039

This weekend the Princeton men's hockey team (4-17 overall, 3-11 ECAC) had an Ivy League road trip, as it took on Harvard (6-11-3, 3-9-3) on Friday and Dartmouth (4-15-3, 3-11-1) on Saturday. These games came after a long break, as Princeton had not played since its home games on Jan. 10 and 11. These were the first away games since Jan. 3 and 4. Both games were very close, but Princeton was on the losing end in both.

The first game, against Harvard, was on Friday night at 7 p.m. Princeton had faced Harvard once before, on Nov. 16. The Tigers lost that similarly close game 3-5. The Crimson opened this game with an onslaught, putting 14 shots on goal in the first period as the Tigers managed just eight. Harvard scored just after the two-minute mark, then scored again just two minutes later and then a third time just five minutes after that, making the score 0-3 at the end of the first period.

In the second period, the Tigers' offense mustered only eight shots on goal, but the defense held Harvard to just 13 this time. Neither side was able to score in the middle 20 minutes, keeping the score at 0-3 going into the third period.

Princeton staged a comeback in the third period, with the offense putting 12 shots on goal, double the six that Harvard managed. Thirteen minutes into the period, senior defenseman Alec Rush put the Tigers on the board, with senior forward Andrew Calof and junior defenseman Aaron Ave assisting him. In the 19th minute, Rush scored again, this time with Calof and senior forward Jack Berger on the assist, making the score 2-3 with just a minute and a half left. Unfortunately Princeton was unable to net the final goal it needed, and the tight contest ended with Harvard victorious.

The Dartmouth game played out very similarly to the Harvard one. The Dartmouth offense started off this game very imposingly, scoring three times out of 22 shots on goal in the first period alone. Princeton only notched five shots on goal in the first period and 20 over the whole game. The score was 0-3 at the end of the first period.

In the second period everything was reversed, as the Dartmouth offense was stifled by the Tigers' defense. Dartmouth scored in the first minute of the second period, but was held to just seven shots. Princeton rallied after being down 0-4, with Rush scoring the first goal just before the seven-minute mark. Sophomore forward Jonathan Liau and senior forward Andrew Ammon assisted him. Seven minutes later, junior forward Tyler Maugeri scored an unassisted goal to make it 2-4, and barely a minute after that Calof netted a third goal for Princeton, with freshman forward Ryan Siiro and sophomore forward Mike Ambrosia picking up the assist. The Tigers were down by just one at the end of the second, with the score 3-4.

In the third period, however, Dartmouth pulled away. Dartmouth scored about halfway through the third to cement its lead, and Princeton was unable to come back. The final score was 3-5. In the game, senior goalie Sean Bonar had 43 saves, which ties his personal best.

Next weekend Princeton has home games against St. Lawrence and Clarkson, both of which are in-conference.