Campus Picks: Sept. 27, 2012

Hilarity: Quipfire! Improv Comedy Presents the UCB Touring Company

The Upright Citizens Brigade touring company is returning to Princeton for another no-holds-barred night of laughter. UCB is where comedic legends like Ed Helms, Amy Poehler and hordes of SNL and Daily Show writers first made audiences roar with laughter. Admission is free, but the show filled up last year, so be sure to get to the theater early. You don’t want to miss the show that people described last year as “rollicking,” “delightful” and “made me laugh so hard I broke a blood vessel and you’ll be hearing from my lawyer.” 

McCarter Theatre

Saturday, 10:30 p.m.

Famous People: ‘Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike’

Playwright Christopher Durang returns to McCarter Theatre with a hilarious mashup of Chekhov’s originals. Siblings Vanya (David Hyde Pierce) and Sonia (Kristine Nielsen) are paid a visit by their superstar sister Masha (Sigourney Weaver, who has been spotted all over campus in past weeks) and her new boy-toy, Spike (Billy Magnussen), resulting in antics and absurdity, including a neighborhood costume party and a prophesying cleaning woman. If you’re looking for some stress relief as the cold weather blues and fall semester workload start kicking in, head down to McCarter for some laughs before the show ends on Oct. 14.

Berlind Theatre

Tuesdays - Thursdays, 7:30 p.m.

Fridays, 8 p.m.

Saturdays, 3 p.m. and 8 p.m.

Sundays, 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

Murder: PUP presents ‘Assassins’

Have a thing for homicidal maniacs? Luckily for you, PUP is back on campus with “Assassins” after a highly successful summer tour. The one-act historical “revusical” by Stephen Sondheim and John Weidman stages a parallel universe in which nine individuals who have attempted to assassinate the President of the United States come together and ultimately inspire each other to commit heinous crimes in the name of what they believe to be the American Dream.

Frist Film/Performance Theatre

Thursday - Saturday, 8 p.m.

Oct. 4-5, 8 p.m.

Oct. 6, 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.

Gore: ‘Gruesome Playground Injuries’

Love always seems to get a bad rap. And this play, written by Rajiv Joseph and directed by Laura Gates ‘14, certainly won’t help. Emotional damage becomes physical, as sadism, masochism, mania and depression find embodiment in the characters on stage. Accident-prone Doug and chronically unhappy Kayleen keep running into each other, often covered in gore or just recovering. They heal one another, if only to make space for new pain. But then again, isn’t that what love is all about? 

Theatre Intime

Thursday - Saturday, 8 p.m. 

Black Swan: PUB 101 Community Ballet Class

Have you ever wondered how to execute a pirouette? Could your plie use a little work? Are you interested in producing and starring in the “The Ugly Duckling,” a prequel to “Black Swan”? If so, pas de bourree [pah-duh-boo-ray] your way to Dillon Gym to learn some ballet basics with PUB. Ballet is the foundation of all different kinds of dance and this class will be a fun way to learn a few of the core moves. Whether you want to pursue ballet or other genres of dance, or just want to learn something new, this is the event for you.

Dillon Gymnasium Group Fitness Room

Saturday, 3 p.m.

Campus picks compiled by Christine Wang, Lillian Li, Katie Bauman, Lolita de Palma and Urvija Banerji.