Adopting a new language

julius_romo_rabinowitz_garden_angel_kuo
On the north end of the Julius Romo Rabinowitz building lies this small garden, where students and staff can escape work while still being shrouded from public view. 
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Before I came to Princeton, the word “chill” was merely an indicator of temperature, often useful for describing the weather. Now, I use “chill” to describe people, places, classes, and almost all my Princeton experiences. It’s a blanket word with an overall positive connotation and an indistinct meaning. The versatile “chill” is a word my friends use for various — practically all — contexts. 

I digested the Princeton dictionary during my first semester here. When I describe the student life advisors, it’s now “RCA,” not “RA.” And who needs the full word “residential” when you can simply say “res” college instead? Or when I talk about the enigmatic “Street,” I mean the eating clubs lining  Prospect Avenue. Even the phrase “eating club” is foreign to general audiences, so I try to make allusions to Greek life and elevated dining halls to non-Princeton listeners, often to even greater confusion.

When I first used “chill” in a new context with my family, they were understandably puzzled. They had begun to understand the distinctly Princeton terms, places, and people that I would make copious reference to in my phone calls, but they had not yet experienced the unique vernacular adopted by my friends and me. My dad groaned, claiming that I was supposed to be learning language at Princeton, not misusing words in daily conversation, while my mom simply laughed at my newly “expanded” vocabulary.

In fact, I was also surprised by the ease with which new words had entered my personal lexicon. Niche words used by members of my zee group (a term most people won’t understand in and of itself), professors, and Princeton administrators wove their way into my spoken and written communication. For example, I would have never used the word “scaffolding” to describe anything outside of the context of repairing buildings. However, I have now adopted a separate definition of the word after hearing administrators use “scaffolding” a shocking number of times to describe new extracurricular and service programs — perhaps a parallel to the very real construction occurring on campus.

In my linguistics class this past semester — a place where I discovered new technical words for categorizing language — we learned about language being  “productive,” in the sense that speakers can build new words and phrases. Language is something that lives and evolves as it is used by speakers. We also learned about vernacular, a subset of language adopted by specific communities with speech patterns unique to that community. Underpinning technical terms and problem sets was the concept that language is something beheld and formed by its speakers and hearers. People make their own languages to suit their communities, needs, and traditions.

By intertwining my knowledge of linguistics with observations about my daily speech patterns, I am reminded that Princeton is a formative place for growth and personal change. I have befriended peers from across the world with unique interests, backgrounds, and experiences. I have learned from their stories, becoming a more informed and open-minded person as a result. In addition, they have influenced my behaviors, beliefs, and even my use of language.

We have also formed distinct communities on campus and brought pockets of the world together in a single dining hall table, common area, or library study room, forging our own languages and traditions along the way. Outside of the standard Princetonian jargon, we have molded our own vernaculars that serve our developing friendships and circles of peers.

Princeton is a place where I have met people who changed and will continue to change my life, from the way I see the world, to the language I use — and I think that’s very chill.

Isabella Dail is a member of the Class of 2026 and an associate editor for The Prospect at the 'Prince.' She can be reached at id7289@princeton.edu.

Self essays at The Prospect give our writers and guest contributors the opportunity to share their perspectives. This essay reflects the views and lived experiences of the author. If you would like to submit a Self essay, contact us at prospect[at]dailyprincetonian.com.