USG discusses Dillon Gym expansion, approves seven new clubs

Weight room in Dillon Gym
Courtesy of Matthew M. Brzycki

Plans to renovate and expand facilities at Dillon Gymnasium for purposes of increased accessibility were presented at this week's Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate meeting by Jarett Messina, Project Manager for the Office of Capital Projects.

In the first of two phases, the renovation will involve the creation of a new entrance on Elm Drive, the construction of a New South Pavilion south of the existing building, and the creation of an outdoor court space. According to current program plans, the New South Pavilion will serve as an additional space for cardio workouts. Indoor spaces will also be renovated.

The first phase of renovation is scheduled to begin in summer 2022 and will be completed in summer 2024. The second phase, which will add another building replacing the outdoor court space, is yet to be scheduled. The exact purpose of this building was not discussed during the meeting.

During the meeting, the Senate also approved a funding request for diSiac Dance Company to curate a virtual performance. The request for $1,700 to be used for production costs was unanimously approved.

“The show would be filmed over the course of 2 weekends (5-6 days total) where a dancer and videographer would meet to film individualized shots (outdoors, in masks, 6ft apart) in accordance with ODUS and social contract guidelines,” according to the meeting agenda.

Additionally, Chair of the Student Groups Recognition Committee (SGRC) Lehman Montgomery ’22 submitted seven new student groups for approval. Each club met with the SGRC earlier to request approval.

The clubs that were unanimously approved are as follows: Black Student-Athlete Collective, Common Cents, FIRST@Princeton, Panel to the People Student Group, Princeton Quantum Computing, Princeton University Styling Society, and Princeton Women in Aeronautics Association. Club descriptions are listed here

Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 9.22.01 PM.jpeg
Andrew Somerville / The Daily Princetonian

Senate meetings — open to all members of the undergraduate student body — occur via Zoom at 8:30 p.m. ET each Sunday. The link to join the meeting can be found in the weekly USG newsletter, which is sent to all undergraduate students.