[SPONSORED] Dear Uncommitted Sophomores

dear-uncommitted-sophomores-thumbnail.png

This sponsored content article was created by the Graduate Interclub Council (GICC). The Daily Princetonian’s editorial staff was not involved in the production of this article.

*******

FALL BICKER? DON’T COUNT ON IT!

Dear Uncommitted Sophomores,

Following the busiest and most competitive Street Week in history, the Graduate Inter-Club Council would like to reach out to those of you who are currently not placed in—or strongly committed to—an eating club.  Princeton’s Eating Club system is unique among American universities—and it works very well.  Surveys of graduating Princeton students reveal that those who belong to an eating club are significantly more satisfied with their overall Princeton experience than those who do not.

We have heard that scores of sophomores who gained admittance to a club have not yet signed in—or embraced their association—in the hope that they will be able to join a different club through fall bicker.  We wanted to communicate now that if fall bicker is held at all during the 2024-25 school year, spaces will be EXTREMELY limited and a majority of selective clubs will not participate.  Their physical capacity limitations won’t allow it.

The good news is that not all clubs are at capacity!  Any of them would be a great choice for your upperclass dining and social experience.  And the GICC is committed to ensuring ALL eleven clubs are viable and robust…indefinitely.  We are also materially stepping up our percentage of joint parties and activities—starting immediately.  So no matter what club you join, you will be mixing with virtually everyone on the Street.

A personal note:  In the spring of my sophomore year, my entire social circle was planning to join the same club—we had our hearts set on it.   I alone failed to get in and was crestfallen.  I joined another club where I knew virtually no one.  And it was the best thing that happened to
me at Princeton.  I made many new friends with whom I am still close today.  I met my wife.  I have now been chairman of that Grad Board for nearly two decades and it is far-and-away the most rewarding association of my life.  So grab a friend or two and join a club that has room—now!  Get excited.  Not only will you belong to that club, but it will literally belong to you!  Work to make it the club you want it to be. You’ll be glad you did!

Hap Cooper ’82

Chairman, GICC

Most Popular